1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I get a kick out of Jeff Reed, Week 8 NFL Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Thursday:
    Washington @ Minnesota Vikings (-16, 40)
    Sunday
    New York Jets @ Jacksonville Jaguars (-4.5, 41)
    New York Giants @ Detroit Lions (-7, 48.5)
    Cincinnati Bengals @ Los Angeles Rams (-12.5, 47.5)
    Denver Broncos @ Indianapolis Colts (-6.5, 43.5)
    Tampa Bay Buccaneers @ Tennessee Titans (-2.5, 46)
    Arizona Cardinals @ New Orleans Saints (-10, 47.5)
    Los Angeles Chargers @ Chicago Bears (-4.5, 40.5)
    Carolina Panthers @ San Francisco 49ers (-5, 41.5)
    Oakland Raiders @ Houston Texans (-7, 51)
    Cleveland Browns @ New England Patriots (-10, 45.5)
    Sunday Night
    Green Bay Packers (-3, 48) @ Kansas City Chiefs
    Monday:
    Miami Dolphins @ Pittsburgh Steelers (-14.5, 43)

Lot of stinkers and mis-matches this week.
    Jets-Jags if you are into so-so football.
    Panthers Niners and Browns-Pats appears to be the best of the bunch this week.
    GB-KC without Mahomes, can't see Matt Moore getting it done.

Browns have ANY shot against NE? In NE?

The really good news: a shitty Miami team comes to Pittsburgh and its unlikely Jeff Reed's services will be needed.

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Man, what a poo-poo platter. Might be worst slate of entire season.

Pittsburgh giving 14.5 with a second or third string QB seems excessive.

Oakland vs. Houston looks like the best matchup, though the Panthers could surprise in SF.

Aaron Rodgers versus that vaunted Chiefs defense in the scary confines of Arrowhead...

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There isn't a 'dog I'd bet on that card except maybe the Chargers. That's indicative of a slow week. In other news, Pats get Sanu from the Falcons for a second-rounder in 2020.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Cards-Saints could be sneaky interesting. Panthers-Niners might be the only other decent game on the slate. Good weekend to invest time in something other than pigskin.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The Steelers actually opened as 16.5-point favorites against the Dolphins. The line already moved to 14.5. I think both are too high. Some people just don't seem to get how flawed that team is. They are getting some guys back this week, but they also took a big hit with the loss of Tuitt.

6. Michael_ Gee

Line is 98 percent about the Dolphins, two percent about the Steelers.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Exactly. The Dolphins played their asses off in Buffalo on Sunday and still lost by 10. Games left that they'll give single digits: vs. NYJ, at NYJ (maybe), at NYG (maybe), vs. CIN. That 12/22 game against the Bengals may be a battle of two 0-15 teams. 12/1 vs. the Jets is the only realistic shot at a win on the schedule for Cincy until then.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Should add that Eagles-Bills should be interesting. Almost a must win for Philly and Buffalo will be looking to prove something, since the Bills only have one decent win (at Tennessee). Others were against the Jets, Giants, Dolphins and Bengals. I have no idea how good Buffalo is.

9. Michael_ Gee

Based on their game with New England I'd say the Bills have an excellent defense and a mediocre to worse offense. That's just one game, I know, but said defense did keep them close for 60 minutes, which I rate as a top-shelf performance.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Evil, you're missing Philly-Buffalo and Seattle-Atlanta on your list of games, by the way.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I thought the guys setting the line were smarter than that. The line should be about the matchup, not just the suckitude of one team involved.

12. Michael_ Gee

Doesn't work that way, OOP. In their own way, super super bad teams are as dominant as champions when it comes to the betting line. This line, like the Bills-Dolphins line last week, is a statement that Miami is a 50-50 bet to lose by at least 15 points to ANY other NFL team that isn't the Jets, Bengals or Redskins.

JC likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted