1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I found three people who might be able to afford Trumpcare

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, May 4, 2017.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It sounds like your city has a sensible pension plan. As poin notes, Los Angeles does not. (Nor does the rest of California for that matter.)

I don't think being liberal and noticing excesses in public-sector benefits are at odds. In the election that put Jerry Brown in the statehouse, he was the one trying to cut back pensions while Meg Whitman tried to win police/fire support by continuing the scheme. A pension that pays, oh, $80,000 instead of $130,000 would still be a good benefit.

QYFW likes this.
  2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Appropriately enough, it's Firefighter appreciation day today.

Big sale going on here:

[​IMG]

Celebrate International Firefighter Appreciation Day by replacing those worn out tees with a beautiful Graphic Tee, and show your support or job pride with style.

Shop with the Original Firestore of NYC. We have been serving the 1st Responder community since 1991

Check the SALE Page for 20% off selected items.
    Every purchase of our Officially Licensed
    FDNY & NYPD products helps support the
    FDNY Foundation or the NYC Police Foundation.

FDNY Firefighter shirts, patches and pins | Quick shipping of all FDNY products | NYFIRESTORE.COM

5. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

The only good unions are the ones covering whatever field you work in.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  6. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Fair enough.

7. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Who the hell (and why) put a "pervert" tag on this thread?

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

That's like your Bat Signal isn't it?

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Well, yeah. I read all five damn pages of this thread.

Utterly disappointed...

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Firefighter is not a golden ticket here. I know too many of them who work full time in one municipality and part time in another, and run a landscaping or painting or plumbing business on the side. This looks very much like a California problem from here.

As to "not a hero", any of these guys could burn to death any day he goes to work. I knew a guy who went on a fairly routine house fire call. He walked through the front door not knowing that the main fire was in the basement. He stepped through the door and went down through a fire weakened floor. His bunker coat was peeled off as he dropped down into the heart of the fire. Dead right there.

Anybody who runs toward the fire is instead of out is a brave SOB in my book.

QYFW likes this.
  11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That's a perk of the job, not a downside.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted