1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I found three people who might be able to afford Trumpcare

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, May 4, 2017.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

You've been around here, in your various iterations, to know the answer to that.
    From LTL's article:
    Good luck, however, selling that to the powerful and popular firefighters union, United Firefighters of Los Angeles City, which plays a major role in electing L.A. city councilmen, showering their campaigns with money and getting out votes for council members on Election Day.

YankeeFan likes this.
  2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Always amusing to see our staunch conservatives favor overspending for their personal pets. This one is like when tony used to rail against all government construction except stadiums for his sports teams.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That's what I thought.

Makes it harder to believe you have disdain for all firefighters.

My wife took the firefighter written test the last time they offered it here. So, she's on a list to get hired, but doesn't have a great number.

But, in w couple of years she could get a spot in the academy.

4. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

The idea that you have this meme on your computer is frightening.

5. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

The OT can be a little insane. But if you want to cut OT by hiring more people, that costs more in the long run with medical and pensions for the new employees.

6. LongTimeListener

@poindexter is there still a discrepancy between Los Angeles County, which requires three firefighters per rig, and the city, which requires four? I know that used to be the case but can't find anything recent. I guess the fires are/were that much more intense once you cross that crucial dividing street.

7. poindexter

I do not know the answer to that.

8. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

My personal pets? The majority of my family were/are big-city firemen. Those benefits and pensions have helped them raise their kids, plan for retirement, etc. My 84-year-old mother is able to live at her small condo and pay her bills because of my late father's pension. It's a little more than a "pet." It's also nowhere nears as profitable in this this city as it is in L.A.

And on the topic of what conservatives and liberals are supposed to support/not support, is it not just as amusing when you see liberals railing against unions?

9. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Hero.

10. poindexter

One of my uncles was a firefighter in suburban michigan. Solid middle class life.

In california, it has turned into the absolute golden ticket. A goldman sachs-type job.

11. LongTimeListener

Appears he would qualify.

LAFD's latest recruits are primarily white and overwhelmingly male

In March 2014, the mayor halted LAFD hiring after The Times reported that thousands of candidates were excluded from the applicant pool because their paperwork wasn't received in the first 60 seconds of a filing period. Many applicants said they had no idea mere seconds would determine which candidates advanced.

Nearly one-third of the 70 recruits eventually hired were related to LAFD firefighters, and the group's makeup was overwhelmingly white. It included only one woman, who later dropped out.

Closed system ... racial imbalances ... union-influenced politicians. Yeah everything's on the up-and-up here.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  12. poindexter

A scout sniper in Iraq? I'd say so.

A so Cal firefighter? Not so much.

Those guys from Cal Fire, who handle the out-of-control blazes? Heck ya.

The suburban LA firefighters who spend their days washing their trucks and going on costco runs and retiring at 52? Not so much.

Draft saved Draft deleted