1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I found three people who might be able to afford Trumpcare

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, May 4, 2017.

1. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I just had a conversation with a firefighter regarding how another big city has made its officers jump through an additional set of hoops regarding the steps it takes to push through trading days. The system was being abused by a handful of people who were essentially paying other firemen to work for them so they could work their second jobs more often. That is essentially the city stepping in to correct a staffing/OT issue. Why can't L.A. fix this much bigger/costlier problem?

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I want to like @QYFW and @poindexter' posts.

They're opposing views, but they're both right.

3. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Did he have any particular interest in this issue?

4. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

they're!

I have no problem with him being upset over L.A.'s fiscal nonsense, but his disdain for all firefighters is ignorant and petty. One doesn't equal the other.

5. YankeeFan

More and more jobs are basing the pension on an average of the final three years' salary, so that someone can't work a ton of OT in just one year to bump up their salary.

But, yeah, it's all a bit of a scam.

Railroad employees have a better scam. They're all on disability -- at higher rates than firefighters. And their OT rules are insane.

6. YankeeFan

I switched it!

Give me a fucking second!!

SnarkShark and QYFW like this.
  7. YankeeFan

I love firefighters. Most of them -- the guy who works for me excluded -- are good guys.

And, yes, it can be a dangerous job.

But it's also a great, flexible (in some ways) job, that pays well, and has great benefits, including a pension.

And, they know how to work the system, just like any other civil service union employee group.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

YankeeFan likes this.
  9. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Why is it bad thing that anyone has a job with good benefits and a pension?

Of course, those pensions have been raided for years, so they're not necessarily guaranteed like they were in the old days. If I could make sure my retirement wasn't fucked over by greedy politicians, I'd take advantage of the system as well.

cranberry likes this.
  10. YankeeFan

This is an interesting article.

The guy who works for me bitches that they spend half their day "following the ambulance". It sounds like busy work.

But, the truth is, cities need more ambulances and fewer fire trucks.

But the firefighters union isn't going to go for that.

Why Send A Firetruck To Do An Ambulance's Job?

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Its a California problem, not an LA problem. And we all play characters here. You don't know me, and my disdains.

California public employees goes by the last year, I believe. Firefighters locally used to do disability scam, but its been cut back (SDI isn't taxable in California).

Draft saved Draft deleted