1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I found this line a bit distasteful

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hwkcrz1, Jul 17, 2009.

1. hwkcrz1

hwkcrz1 Member

Rick Morrissey's latest column, on Barack Obama's poor opening pitch at all-star game. Is the bolded line below really necessary?
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-17-morrissey-barack-obama-jul17,0,1559411.column

If you're a sports fan, you have to feel good that one among us works in the Oval Office.

President Barack Obama is a huge White Sox fan, even if he did refer to the former Comiskey Park as "Cominskey Field" in a recent national TV interview. (On the other hand, better Cominskey than the thoroughly unromantic-sounding U.S. Cellular Field.)

Obama has politicked for a college football playoff system, and though he is seriously misguided on the subject, the fact he cares is a good thing.

We know all about his passion for playing hoops. His personal aide, Reggie Love, played football and basketball at Duke.

The White House pretty much has a revolving door set up for sports teams that want to meet Obama. If you're an athlete and haven't gotten an invite, you must be having a very bad year.

The temptation might be to call Obama the Jock Sniffer in Chief, but the alternative is much, much worse: having someone in the most powerful position on earth who doesn't know a fly ball from a football.

Which brings us to his ceremonial first pitch Tuesday night at the All-Star Game. How best to put this? He throws like a ... wait, I'm not going to say it. It's not worth the protests by the U.S. women's national softball team that inevitably will blossom outside Tribune Tower.

Let's just say he throws like someone who hardly has played sports. If the Cardinals' Albert Pujols hadn't stepped up and made a catch, Obama's pitch would have bounced in front of the plate, the ultimate humiliation.

If I'm North Korea, I attack right now.

How can someone who professes such deep love for baseball, someone who plays basketball so frequently, someone who puts everything else on hold to sit down with ESPN to fill out his college basketball brackets -- how can that person throw a baseball so badly?

Obama's explanation is he didn't play organized baseball growing up. Sorry, but that's not enough for a free pass.

2. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

No, no it is not. Completely unnecessary.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

The entire column isn't necessary.
    Damn, the President didn't throw an 90-mile-an-hour strike.
    Impeach the son of a bitch!

Total fucking stupidity.

4. srnitz86

srnitz86 Guest

You shouldn't waste your time reading Morrissey.

5. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

The temptation might be to call Obama the Jock Sniffer in Chief, but the alternative is much, much worse: having someone in the most powerful position on earth who doesn't know a fly ball from a football.

This one too... Jeeez?

6. Colton

Colton Active Member

Yikes... I'm pleased my guys didn't run this while I'm out on vacation/furlough.

Stupidity.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If Morrissey was trying to be tongue-in-cheek, it fell flatter than Writing Irish's home terrain.

Teh Stoopid is spreading.

8. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Dumb and unnecessary...

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Took the words right off my keyboard.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

He should be bludgeoned in his bed.

11. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

I mean, let's just fire the guy, OK? Like, he can't write.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

My thoughts exactly. How dare anyone use sarcasm in this day and age.

Draft saved Draft deleted