1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I found the triple play/double play in same game

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Apr 30, 2007.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

This deserves its own thread

SPORTS DESK
    BASEBALL; The Short and Happy Career of Ron Wright
    By LEE JENKINS
    Five years ago, a 26-year-old rookie named Ron Wright struck out, hit into a double play and hit into a triple play for the Seattle Mariners. It was his first and last game in the major leagues.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/15/sports/baseball/15wright.html?ex=1178078400&en=fe5bc314ef42b908&ei=5070

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I remember him. Big power hitter in the minors. Just big without the hitter in the majors.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

60 years from now, he'll be Moonlight Graham.

4. statrat

statrat Member

DAMMNIT! I found this first and put it in the other thread. I remember that game, and thought Wright could have been a decent hitter given the chance. But like I noted in the other thread, guy was even slower than Edgar Martinez.

5. statrat

statrat Member

http://www.baseball-reference.com/w/wrighro02.shtml

6. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Good research on finding this rare feat. That is something very impressive to say the least.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

the anti- Roy Hobbs

8. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

And was hailed as the savior for my beloved Bucs.

As I recall, Wright was the key to the Pirates trading Denny Neagle to Atlanta. Getting Jason Schmidt? That was a throw-in.

9. John

John Well-Known Member

I read that story when it came out a few weeks ago. Good stuff.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I hope Ron Wright went to med school so he can save the girl's life in a 2057 cornfield.

11. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

A few years ago, there was a Texas Rangers game were an opponent hit into a triple play on one at bat and the next at bat hit a grand slam. You can't have more different back-to-back at bats; 3 outs on one swing, 4 runs on one swing. Can't remember the guy's name. At the time, the announcers didn't make that big a deal but I've always wondered if it has ever been done before.

Seam heads, knock yourselves out.

12. Seabasket

Seabasket Active Member

It was Scott Hatteberg back in '01. He's still the only guy ever to hit into a triple play and have a grand slam in the same game.

Draft saved Draft deleted