1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Found It Funny That . . .

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, May 4, 2009.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

. . . ABC showed the front page of the Denver Post during last night's playoff game between the Mavs and Nuggets.

"Here's the front page of the local paper," said (I think) Mike Tirico, before they showed the spread.

It just kills me how often a newspaper is used as a crutch on TV, the radio and in blogs.

We're so irrelevant but it's the one thing that is ALWAYS used to justify or reinforce the importance or magnitude of an event.

2. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Funnier still that a Wood Paige Q&A with Pat Bowlen was on the aforementioned front. They did a pretty cool Nuggets-Mavs special section, though.

To the topic, your point is taken. Didn't one of the late-night news shows (Nightline, or some similar) used to do a compilation/collage of front pages for the next day, copped from Newseum?

3. renaldo

renaldo New Member

I'm convinced that each morning the local news stations read the Trib and Sun Times to decide what they're going to broadcast that day. Aside from some of the investigative TV news folks, there's no origination of content on the TV news. They just chase the tails of the metro papers.

4. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Yeah, not quite the same thing to get a fan holding up I-Phone with main page of local internet-only media entity.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Morning Joe does this.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Many of the British news shows do it as well, although I realize that's not an apples-to-apples comparison.

7. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

If it wasn't for USA Today, there'd be a lot of dead air on morning drive time radio.

8. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

Aaron Brown used to do it on his CNN show with tomorrow's front pages tonight.

9. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

I interviewed a local disc jockey and sat in on his morning show.

He grabbed every bit of his news report from newspapers or the Web sites of newspapers. No credits. No nothing.

If we go down, we're taking the radio morning news updates down with us.

10. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Love me some "Speed Bump":
    [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted