1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I FOUND IT! AKA Khartoum's most brilliant post ever

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl2, Feb 4, 2008.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'm not sure if this is sad, notable or both but I remember exactly where I was when I read that post. fucking brilliant. The greatest thing anyone's ever done here.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Not as long as the Flash flash remains in our collective memory.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

Smile is two syllables, but crayon is one.

4. dooley_womack1

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

BYH was actually the first one to respond to it. He quoted it and said "That is just fucking classic."

I've once again been sitting here tryign to say it in one syllable...but it just doesn't work. To go from the "eye" sound to the "ul" sound, there's a definite break.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

I thought I was! But I thought it would be even lamer to admit that. Thanks eye jag!

Of all the things to discover, though, I'm proud to be the first to post on that thread.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

That's the thing, though. That wasn't even the first post. I have no idea what started the thread.

The page I have printed out has the bottom of some post at the top, then me quoting 'Toum yelling at me for a four-syllable line, me claiming I'd rewritten it and failed to copy edit (all in haiku, of course) and then his post.

Then you quoted it, and god knows where it went from there.

But it was just sheer genius in the middle of a thread about poor Tracey Gold. Easily the best thing to happen to her in her career.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Smile is two syllables. That is all.

9. dooley_womack1

Refer to my link above. In proper English (and out of the lips of 99 percent of the people I've heard use the word), one syllable. All that doesn't mitigate the fine work 'Toum did, but it's based on dialect, not proper English.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

The best writers ignore the rules on purpose and don't care. They're too cool. And they get away with it. That means it can be one OR two in this haiku.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Informal poll in the office had seven people use two syllables and one person say "smoll" for smile.

Draft saved Draft deleted