1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Found a New Drug

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jones, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Actually, I'm with Jones on the morphine kick. Had surgery -- nothing too major, but they wanted to keep me in the hosptial overnight -- and when I came out of it, they hooked me up to morphine. Except it wasn't the standard, gradual-release drip. They injected a lot at once, and despite moderate pain, I felt amazing. Well, this is the U.S. of A., not Canada, so hospitals need to get their bill as high as possible. The nurse came around every hour over the next 15 or so I was in the hospital and asked me if I wanted more morphine. The last batch hadn't even worn off, but I told her yes, I was in a lot of pain (I wasn't). Each hit of it kept making me feel better and better. Insurance was covering the cost, so I didn't care. When they finally discharged me, they asked me if I wanted a wheelchair to get out to my friend's car (he was taking me home). I was so pounded on morphine that I literally couldn't move a muscle and, even if I could, I sure as hell didn't want to.

But when everything wore off and the pain of having surgery hit, well, that was a bitch. Suddenly Percocet didn't do the trick.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Last month I accidentally took too much Adderall, alphabetized my shoes, and memorized The World According to Garp.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I've always heard the absinthe in Europe is much more potent than what you can get in the US. I'd like to test that theory.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

If you really need to get some studying done, 21, take your normal dose, then crush half a pill and snort it.

Or so my students used to tell me...

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

The drug stories here amaze me.

I've smoked exactly one joint in my life, and was not impressed -- so I've never touched an illegal drug again.

I just don't get it.

6. joe

joe Active Member

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The one time I ever tried being a TV cameraman, I got plowed over on the opening kickoff of Week 2, fracturing my tibular plateau (bone right below the kneecap). Many days later, I go in for the surgery, get knocked out, and eventually get sent to my room, along with a morphine hookup.

The idea was that I would push the button whenever I was in pain and the tubes would deliver my little hit of happy juice without getting me addicted. Only trouble was, my wife and my mom decided to take the controls early on, pushing the button whenever I looked like I might be waking up. A few hours later, I finally start coming out of it and into the worst pain of my life. I try pushing the button, but never feel any morphine kicking in. Turns out mom and wife had maxed out the dosage, and every time I hit the button all I did was reset the countdown until I could get my drugs again. I think the nurse tied explaining this a time or two, but I was so groggy that I couldn't understand. (Don't ask me what my family's excuse was.)

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Plus, he can drive.

9. Stupid

Stupid Member

Usually you have to smoke pot a few times for it to really kick in. Don't ask me why that is but that was my experience as well as dozens of other people I know.

Absinthe in the U.S. is illegal, I believe. The stuff that people drink here for sazeracs, absinthe drips, etc. is the French liqueur Pernod which is to absinthe what light beer is to barleywine.

10. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

How many of you work for a company that does drug testing and what are the circumstances?

I think it's quite odd that a newspaper that stands to go under if someone writes the wrong fucking thing doesn't test for this stuff but Wal-Mart requires it for their stock boys.

Just a thought.

And, as an FYI, I worked at my last paper for six months and didn't know until a week before my last day that my ace reporter was a pot head. The funny thing was that I had always suspected another reporter of this because she lost her train of thought on a constant basis and dragged her words and sentences. I also discovered that the three pressroom guys sat and smoked joints while they waited for me to send pages. And the bastards had the balls to complain when I wasn't early.

11. Stupid

Stupid Member

Mine does but it's not a problem now because I quit it all. I was a little taken aback by the drug testing policy, having spent 11 years in the Bay Area where such things apparently are rare. I guess that in much of the country, esp. the red states, it's fairly normal.

Five years ago, I would have had a hard time passing the test.

12. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Obviously, my last paper didn't test. Hell, it may have been encouraged. Or, maybe it was a drug front and everyone thought I was a freak for being so concerned about the quality of the drug cartel's newspaper.

Unless they test for Diet Dr. Pepper, I wouldn't have a problem passing one today. But I recall drinking something called "The Stuff" when I was about 21. I think I got that job. As I recall it didn't pay enough to allow a person much of a drug habit, much less a paying the power bill habit.

Draft saved Draft deleted