1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Found a New Drug

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jones, Sep 3, 2006.

1. joe

joe Active Member

Jonesy, do mushrooms count, or is that (cow)shit right out?

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Many, many years ago (college), I attended a Rainbow Family Gathering. It was the national one, held in a different National Park each July 4. While there, some friends broke out an eye drops bottle filled with liquid LSD. I put four drops under my tongue right as the sun was going down.

We got to the drum circle/bonfire right as it got dark. By that point, I was seriously tripping. When the sparks would come off the bonfire, the tracers would stay for several minutes. I was watching this awesome fireworks show. The drums caused everything to change colors. When they'd speed up the tempo, everything turned bright green. When they slowed down, it turned purple and blue.

I went back to our campsite and watched the stars move across the sky. It was glorious. I had to smoke out to get to sleep because I was enraptured by the sky.

As was the LSD-fueled hook up I had with my then girlfriend when I got back home.

3. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Gall bladder surgery is typically done with 'key hole' surgery now. You go home the same or next day. Unless you've waited a week and a half. :-\

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I have one of those stories, too, but I'll save that for another night. But it involved driving and listening to The Doors.

5. Jones

Jones Active Member

Buck, as my man Barry Zito says, sometimes you just have to let the universe work through you.

Inky, I knew you wouldn't let me down.

Devious Hydra: Currently up for debate. Apparently, I've been carrying around my little bag of marbles for years without problem. Doc said I could never have another episode, or, alternatively, that stone might try to escape out my dick hole nightly. If that happens, I'll cut my goddamn gallbladder out myself. If it's a once-a-year thing, I think I'll hang on to it, just so I can keep eating onion strings and receiving my occasional morphine fix.

You have to change your diet much after it was lifted?

And then, back to your normally scheduled drug programming. Joe, the fungi, if you will.

6. Jones

Jones Active Member

Whoa, one my google ads is for fungi.com -- your source for "gourmet & medicinal spawn."

Webby, you just earned yourself a nickel.

7. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I'm not as incognito as some here, so I'll be a bit conservative in my reply.

I was standing in the line at Wal-Mart at about 5 a.m. about 10 years ago to buy a few friends some Fruit Loops, milk, cigarettes and soda.

When I reached the checkout lane, the guy in front of me looks back and says something about how it looks like a well-balanced meal. It was clear that he was being an asshole. I looked down and saw that he had a box of Hostess cupcakes and a freakin' 20-ounce Diet Coke.

I said, "Fuck you. What's that shit that you're eating."

The cashier gasped. She didn't say another word the whole time I was standing there. The guy did say that the cupcakes were for his son.

As I recall, I got into my car a moment later and suddenly had no idea where I was or where I was going. I sat there for about five minutes before making the connection between the Fruit Loops and my buddy.

About six months later, after an argument with a girlfriend, I drove off with tires screeching and slammed my car into a parked flat-bed truck. I thought I was driving down one road and realized too late that I was moving far too fast down a different road, which ended abruptly a block ahead of me. The front end of my car was a mangled mess. The truck was fine. I fled the scene and made it to a friend's house. My insurance had expired a week earlier, so I spent the next six months paying off a car I couldn't drive. That was the end of my exciting venture into the Midwestern U.S. drug culture.

8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Had no diet restrictions after they took it out. And the story I told you was my second 'spell' with the thing. After the first time they said "It might never happen again". Hah!

9. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Stuff:

Lots of people with headaches look for help and some docs are great; others less so. B12 deficiency or pernicious anemia is rare and b12 levels are noit necessarily the best way to diagnose it. Methylmelonic acid levels go down even before B12 levels drop. If you're having ed organ problems (headache, numbness, weakness) because of B12 issues, there is usually an abnormality of your red blood cells that can be seen easily on a routine complete blood cout or CBC. Ascribing headache to B12 problems may be hasty. Injection of B12 should be limited to those people who have documented inability to absorb B12. (Physiology: B12 attaches to Intrisic Factor in the stomach and this complex is absorbs in the far end of the small intestine or terminal ileum)

Narcotics are no longer considered appropriate emdication for headache control in the emergency department. Other drug regimens are non addicting, have better side effect profiles and minimize rebound headaches that occur after the narcotic wears off.

Gallstones should be removed electively if at all possible. If allowed to remain, they can cause the gallbladder to become acutely inflamed and infected making surgery that much more risky. As well, gallstones are the main cause for pancreatitis which can be lethal. And yes, laparascopic (keyhole) surgery is the routine and is often same day.

10. Stupid

Stupid Member

I went to 70+ Dead shows in 10 years, not counting the shitload of Jerry shows I saw when I lived in SF. Acid, 'shrooms, X, I've done them all, many times all 3 in the same night.

In fact, there's very few drugs I haven't done. PCP is about the only mainstream one I can think of. I'm sure there's lots of pharmaceuticals that I haven't gotten to but those mostly all do the same job.

I can't give one acid story, there are so many. I do remember being somewhat hoodwinked into chewing up about 8 hits of what my friend told me where weak hits of blotter back in the summer of '85. What I didn't know was that the hits had just been overnighted from the Dead's 20th anniversary shows at Berkeley's Greek Theatre.

After I chewed up all 8, my friend told me the truth. I wasn't angry at all, but happy that I was going to trip that night instead of sitting around waiting for bogus blotter to kick in. We went to see the midnight showing of The Song Remains The Same in Havelock, NC, a military town near Atlantic Beach. At first, I was a little taken aback because you also had to watch out for drunk jarheads looking to fight. my buddy had taken a couple of hits too. I pretty much became a character in that movie, being onstage with Page & Plant and was oblivious to the marine behind me yammering about how mediocre a guitarist Page was.

By the time, we got back to the beach cottage where my buddy lived, I felt like I had been through a magical space ride and been in a rock band. Of course, I was up all night which sucked because the biggest party of summer was that day out on a sandbar. So about 10:30 a.m. when I was finally starting to flag, I gobbled another 10 hits of the same blotter and went back out there. It was fun but nothing like the night before.

11. Jones

Jones Active Member

Doc, my terminal ileum is scorched (Crohn's disease), so that explains me... Won't argue with you, obviously, but the B12 injections certainly stopped the headaches. Didn't receive any other treatment for them. I keep my B12 topped up, and I haven't had a blinder for five or six years.

Thanks for the advice on the gallbladder. If I do take it out -- and I'm leaning that way, especially considering your advice -- I'll make a necklace out of the stones and send it your way, gratis.*

*I've had little giggles on my couch imagining DocTalk as a 12-year-old kid with a medical textbook open on his lap or some dude who stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. I'm sure that's not the case. Be funny, though.

12. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted