1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'I Forgot My Phone'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

One of the great things about social media is that you control how you use it. There are no right or wrong ways. There are ways that are more or less successful, if getting people to click on your links or photos is your goal. But ultimately, if a user isn't satisfying you, you can unfollow them. If that user cares about his or her social media traction, the message will be delivered by lack of engagement. It does no good complaining about it.

The Internet is for the people.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

They need to realize that it's all a mirage anyway.

I've seen tons of kids photos on Facebook. Not once have I seen a tantrum, throwing up, writing on walls, broken lamps, an F on a school assignment or any one of dozens of things that these little angels do that never make it to Facebook.

3. I blame Facebook for the decline of the role of the community. That and youth activities.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

The culture of incessantly staring at a 3-inch screen while out with friends basically says that "I have more interesting friends than the ones I'm out with." Which leads to the question: "Why aren't you out with those friends?" Of course, if they were out with those friends they'd be doing the same thing. Why? Because rude people are rude.

5. Rude, or the effect of societal expectations to multitask? A white-collar worker seldom free fom work obligations. Those work obligations morph into " social" obligations on social networking sites. You have to "like" or comment on posts because it is expected.

6. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I don't have a smartphone. When the rare occasion of having dinner with my wife in a restaurant happens, I have to tell her to get off her smartphone and pay attention to what I'm saying. Otherwise, I really could sit in silence for an hour while she plays with Facebook. It's really frustrating. Everyone in her family teases her about having the phone glued to her hand. She has to charge the thing twice a day because she's on it so much. She watches a TV show, but has to rewind about 20 minutes because she quit paying attention ... I could bitch about this all day.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I understand what you're saying but I would submit that that's about 2% of the problem.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Hmmm. Maybe women in their 40s and 50s aren't being massively over-diagnosed with depression, after all.

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

This may be the saddest sentence I've ever read in my life. For several reasons.

10. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

HOW DARE YOU DISPUTE WITH DICK IF SOMETHING LOOKS OUT OF PLACE OR NOT!

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I just listened to Prettyhatemachine for the first time in like five years. It's really good.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Parents have always taken a lot of pictures of their children - at least as long as cameras have been everyday household items.

The only difference now is that you don't have to wait a week for the photos to come back from Walgreens or CVS. They're available right away and instead of winding up in scrapbook or a drawer somewhere they're on the internet for the world to see.

Draft saved Draft deleted