1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'I Forgot My Phone'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Very funny YouTube video with about 18,000,000 page views and counting on our smart phone-obsessed culture:

The video was the subject of a New York Times piece this weekend, in which it was noted that some Brooklyn restaurants have banned customers from taking photos of their food, so out of hand is that action. (YankeeFan will now no longer be able to eat there.)

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/09/01/disruptions-more-connected-yet-more-alone/?_r=0

Just some interesting material on the smart phone's creeping ubiquity, and perhaps a coming back lash. I thought it dove tailed a little with some of the texting-and-driving threads we've been having lately.

2. Dick Whitman

Forbes column on it: Could you turn off your smart phone for 100 days?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/petercohan/2013/09/03/can-you-turn-off-your-smartphone-for-the-next-100-days/

I Forgot My Phone depicts another phenomenon which I don’t understand at all – people are growing more interested in the process of recording and transmitting their life experience – through videos, selfies, and Tweets — on their smartphones than on directly interacting with people.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I sort of did something like 18 months ago walking around NYC. (It's better in HD)

http://incrediblekulk.blogspot.com/2012/03/picture-show-sould-out-on-technology.html

(The dude at the 3:35 mark looks like the younger Tsarnev brother.)

4. Dick Whitman

It's gotten really, really bad. And I can be as bad as anybody, though I'm really, really trying to get better. I posted some rant about it here recently, maybe on the texting-and-driving thread. We've all just become dopamine addicts. It's why I post here sometimes, too. I find it sad, though I know plenty will disagree. I'm not a Luddite. I know smart phones have a lot of great functions, and I've actually stood up for them when people gripe about EBT users pulling out an iPhone. But we've become slaves to them in a few short years. I want my brain and my community back.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I read the Times article, but didn't bother watching the video. Is it really worth it?

6. Dick Whitman

It's only like two minutes long, so probably. It's pretty much what is described in the Times article, but it's a fairly jarring social satire on what we've become.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Satire?

Nothing in that video looks out of place. More like a documentary.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Every person buried in a smart phone is one less asshole I have to deal with in person.

Besides, people constantly bitching about smart phone use are WAY more annoying than people constantly using their smart phones.

9. Dick Whitman

Not the response I expected from you, my friend ...

Ah, there it is!

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

When surrounded by assholes (as I am), you ALWAYS choose the asshole who ignores you over the asshole who tries to engage you.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

This is really bad. I mean, this is one of the worst columns I've read in a while. The writing is that of a Facebook post, perhaps typed out via smart phone. But the content is more repugnant tenfold. He does not consider counterpoints or ramifications at all. Why do you read this crap?

Draft saved Draft deleted