1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I, for one, welcome our new overlords (from ESPN)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Aug 15, 2013.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Who's worse? Vegetarians who boast about being vegetarians or people without cable boasting about how great life is without cable?

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Man, that's a tough one.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The people without cable are worse, because they act like it's some kind of moral act and then watch the same shows online instead.

4. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

People who get all haughty about stealing music but have no issues watching premium cable illegally (through streaming) are my favorite kind of d-bags.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I did nothing of the either sort. On the other thread, I noted my wife is a vegan. On this one I simply said I was proud not to have contributed to ESPN's overflowing coffers. I did not exult at how great life is without cable. In fact, I was pretty damn pissed that the final round of the British Open was on ESPN rather than ABC.

6. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I don't have cable. Too expensive. But I hear about which shows are great, and it's easy enough to buy seasons of shows used on Amazon for fairly cheap, watch them, then re-sell them and end up almost breaking even. And when I finally catch up to the current season, I've always been able to find episodes online. I'm working on about season 5 or so of Dexter right now. Great, great show btw.

Only real drawback is live sports.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I don't think ala carte is coming anytime soon. And even if it did, there will still be some sort of "bundling." You want ESPN? Well, you have to get all of the ESPN channels and ABC and Disney Channel and all other channels owned by Disney. And the rates will be high, that you'll pay basically the same you are now but have fewer channels.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Well, that would be great. Every Greatest Game Ever Played or Greatest Anything discussion would begin around 1995.

At least on this board it begins around 1985. :D

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Instead, they hired Regis Philbin.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

"We're the network of asshole fratboy snark!!!!"

Somehow I suspect that's pretty much the way they're gonna go anyway.

Look.... Titties!!

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't know. Looks more like it will be a wall to wall Fox NFL Sunday style chuckle-fest.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I didn't say you did. Your mentioning it just got me thinking about it, in general.

Draft saved Draft deleted