1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I First Feared the Message Board Was Us - SE Fired Over Posts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

There are ethical reasons why it's improper to rip your employer, and there is the human survival component. I'm not sure which one we're talking about here.

My view is that from an ethical standpoint there are no absolutes. If your employer is polluting drinking water or is Bleacher Report, I don't have a problem with it.

From the needing to eat standpoint, if you're posting anonymously, it would depend on how confident you are that said employer wouldn't know who you are.

2. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Geez. Someone trying to get a rise out of someone. Socket puppets. And now pissing matches? Damn.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

LOL. I guess that's true, isn't it?

4. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

The impression I got from applying for an SE position there a few years back (they went on to hire the now-convict) was that they don't want to hire a older veteran for the position because they don't want to pay the higher salary ... they'd rather keep bringing in "kids" with 1-2 years experience (if that) and put up with the constant turnover ...

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I agree with that assessment. Of course, it hardly makes them unique in that regard.

From a journalism standpoint, they could be a lot better than they are. Lot of papers in similar size towns are bigger. But I did get the feeling management doesn't care about that. The people there all worked hard and overachieved with the tools they were given.

If you have a major state university in town and your section is 3-4 pages, you're not going to have room for much national stuff/commentaries, etc.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I will say this for Mark2010: He rarely responds to or launches personal attacks.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

That's just like you to point that we can't all be pussified pacifists like Mark, you no good son of a bitch. Scoreboard!!!!!

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Oh, there are enough attacks on here to start WWIII and win a suit for defamation of character if I were so inclined.

Obviously, some people out there just can't let it go. Rather than just saying "eh, whatever" and move on, they want to make an issue of every single post.

But, really, what does it matter? I personally know about 4 people on this site. For all I know, the rest might be sock puppets or bots. So what difference does it make what so-and-so thinks, whether they be the managing editor at USA Today or a stringer from podunk? It's a board to express opinions on a whole host of topics and that's what I do. I respect the rules of the board and everyone else's right to disagree.

To me, getting involved in personal attacks --- particularly with persons one doesn't even know --- is the height of stupidity and the biggest waste of time out there. I know who I am and the man in the mirror is at peace with that. And, since I'm not running for elected office, that's really the only opinion that matters.

9. Sorry, but there is no way you could win a defamation suit.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Not against a sock puppet, true.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Well, you have the right handle.

12. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

This guy was obviously young, immature and didn't have any idea the depth or poor taste of his posts. He got what he deserved from his employer.

But what he did is really only a symptom of what's actually taking place in our society.

I cannot tell you the countless number of people who talk online this way with no regard for themselves, their professions, their employers or for others. It's as if they feel that they can express themselves online in any manner which they want and are immune to the consequences.

It is my belief that the generation that is growing up now with all these social media outlets does not fully understand or grasp what they are doing. Just look at Twitter and Facebook and see what some athletes are posting. It is horrifying some of the things they say with no regard for the consequences their words might have. I see it in all types, too, from the younger generations up to grown adults with families of their own.

The one place I don't see it is from professionals, such as doctors, lawyers, bankers, business CEOs and administrative officials. It seems the more highly educated, the less likely they are to be involved with social media. Coincidence? I don't think so.

Draft saved Draft deleted