1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I First Feared the Message Board Was Us - SE Fired Over Posts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

so says Romenesko

http://jimromenesko.com/2012/11/01/bozeman-daily-chronicle-sports-editor-fired-over-message-board-posts/

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

See other thread for the fallout.

That noted, I'd say calling your bosses "money-hungry corporate fucks" is a pretty good way to get fired.

3. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Yeah, I read the first half and thought, "He got fired for that?" Then I read the second half.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Not a very smart move by a very young journalist.

5. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

Apparently this is a subsquent posting he made at Bobcat Nation:

Postby Colter_Nuanez on Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:12 am
    Well people, this place finally came back around to bite me in the butt.

Because of my comments and opinions expressed on this website, I have been terminated effective immediately.

Thanks for the ride, albeit a short one. Thanks for never holding punches, holding me accountable, ripping me when needed and making me better. This is part of my core audience here and I'm sad I won't get to share my passion with you anymore.

I'm out.

http://www.egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=59898

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Moral of the story is that these message boards do far more harm than good. And be careful what you post.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

If you think this, why do you post here?

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Honestly, I'm surprised this stuff doesn't happen more often. This guy's shocked and appalled that newspapers are businesses first and guardians of democracy second? What planet has he been on? For years, healthy profit margins allowed newspapers to claim the primacy of public service, but various downturns have burst the cloak.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There have been a couple people fired for posting here or on the old Sportspages board.

Posting on any fanboard is a recipe for disaster. Those people can bait writers like world champions and the next thing you know, you're in a situation like this guy...

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I like one of the comments: "I'd almost be willing to bet that what he wrote online is nothing he hasn't said in the newsroom."

The difference, of course, is BSing after deadline doesn't appear the next day in writing, for the bosses to see.

Moral of the story: Don't get caught up in some media-flaming frenzy on a fanboard when, uh, you work for the media outlet being flamed.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I'm not in the same situation. I'm not vulnerable.

Other than that, I'm pretty bored and it's good for a few laughs.

12. Plus, it's fun to be a homophobe and racist online.

Draft saved Draft deleted