1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I find the Bobs' lack of faith disturbing (AKA, I got a jobby job on page 2)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Congrats BigPern and good luck with the Empire. Do you get a lightsabre? and if so, what colour?

2. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Congrats, bigpern!
    I hope you tell the Bobs what has transpired.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Fifteen months until I can say exactly how shitty my old company is and tell them to go to hell. I'm honestly not sure if it was worth the $700 severance to agree to their terms.

Thanks, Beef and KJIM. Lightsaber was definitely blue, but I think I have to trade in for red (which is the dominant color of one of my new clients).

4. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Very happy for you, dude. Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta. :)

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Awesome!

6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This is fantastic, bp. Congratulations!

Hold on to and remember this feeling of excitement and happiness. It's worth it and will carry and energize you as you go forward into the new job.

There is life outside of journalism and sports writing. Usually, though, it takes getting away from it to really realize that. You'll miss it sometimes, still, but that's probably more because the all-consuming-ness, intensity and the highs of sports writing can be almost like an addiction, not because it's always actually so great, or so great for you.

There is a difference, and you'll find that a more normal schedule, more job security, more money and probably less stress will go along way toward making up for not indulging in said addiction or having as much of the glamour/excitement that you may have experienced in journalism.

The bottom line is that it may have taken some time, but it sounds like you've gotten yourself a better job in just about every respect. If you don't love it, well, with all the good points, you can probably learn to love it, pretty easily.

I know from experience that, especially after being unemployed or underemployed for a lengthy amount of time, you really do learn to appreciate a job and be happy in it, almost no matter what. And this opportunity sounds like it has plenty with which you can be happy.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Let me join the chorus of congratulations to you, bigpern! I'm happy you are about to rejoin the 92 percent of us who have jobs!

I have to echo WriteThinking's comments about job security, normal hours, better pay and less stress making up for a lot of what you lost in the journalism world. I have to say, however, that PR isn't the dark side. Working for a bank is. :D

Seriously, however, I make MUCH more as a call center representative for a bank than I did as a managing editor at The Godless County Courier*. Not only that, but I get appreciation from our customers, from my co-workers and from managers. Some of that even includes gift cards! :D

Again, congratulations! I wish you and your burgeoning family all the best.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Great job. Congratulations!

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Thank you all. I talk a big game to a lot of people these days about how great it is to leave newspapers behind. But I know I'll always miss it. During these past nine months, I've been doing PR and sports writing. When people ask what I do, I tell them I'm a sports writer and I do PR and, inevitably, people ask me more about my sportswriting gig, even though I've been literally making more than twice as much per hour in my PR job.

It is going to be hard to let journalism go. I'm a sportswriter in the way an Olympic athlete who never medals is still an Olympian. I didn't reach the heights I had hoped to reach in journalism, but I'll always be a sportswriter. When my son is old enough to understand, I have a feeling he's always going to want to know more about my life covering an Olympic swimmer or interviewing MLB players than he's ever going to care about what my client's next tech offering is (if he cares about any of it at all :) ).

I'm OK with that because I know that when he asks why I'm no longer a sportswriter, I can tell him it's because he was more important to me than any jock. I'll give him a far better life in this career than I would have otherwise. And I'll be damn happy to coach him or be the subject of a "Dear Dimwit on the phone" post rather than be the guy dealing with us assholes. :D

10. Colton

Colton Active Member

BP, first, my sincere congrats. Awesome news for you and yours!

And, second, you'll always be one of us. The fact your aren't on the "active" list doesn't mean you're on the team.

Best wishes.

11. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

This is awesome news, bigpern23. Best of luck and have fun.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Excellent news, pern. Onward, upward, etc. ...

All the best ...

Draft saved Draft deleted