1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I find the Bobs' lack of faith disturbing (AKA, I got a jobby job on page 2)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Sep 14, 2011.

1. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

Re: The Bobs are on their way

I will see your being asked to stay two weeks, and raise you a layoff notification the week before Christmas (I kid you not) coupled with the demand that those of us being cut stay until the Friday after the Super Bowl (that was nearly seven weeks) in order to qualify for our severance packages. Getting laid off sucks whether the company tries hard to soften the blow or just lets the axe drop unmercifully. Good for you to have your search already underway.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Been there, done that. Sorry to hear.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

The Bobs are at my place as well.

4. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Sorry I had to break you off like that. Good luck bp. The Bobs will get theirs one day.

5. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

We tried to get my JV football coach to switch our games to Wednesdays, because "Kung Fu" was on Thursdays, long before the VCR was invented. Didn't work. Missed most of a season.

6. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

Sorry to hear this bigpern23. You have my complete empathy. Best of luck.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

You should never feel like a failure, bp. That was the hardest lesson I heard in my first (and so far, knock on wood, only) time I've been laid off. Then it was getting through the feeling of helplessness that was even worse than failure -- that there was nothing I could have done about it. I couldn't have worked harder, or written better. It was a numbers game, and my number, for that moment, was snake eyes.

One good lesson of being laid off was that I always keep one eye out the door. I don't mean that I don't work hard, or I'm disloyal. It's that I'm always thinking about what skills I can develop, what's going on in the outside world, and what I can do to stay relevant if I ever need to pound the pavement again. It sounds like you've already done that, so kudos to you. I'm sure there are people on this board who has gone outside the newspaper world has stories of wonderful opportunities and changes to their lives that they never expected. For one thing, regular hours.

However, a little bit of primal rage once you walk out the door feels pretty good, too. Good luck.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

That is my favorite scene in the movie. Damn it feels good to be a gangsta.

Ouch, that's terrible. I'd feel better about staying on if I was going to get a severance package, but that's damned awful to make someone stay on seven weeks to get it.

Sorry to hear that, Jay, good luck avoiding the chopping block. Make sure you don't tell them Michael Bolton is a no-talent ass clown. I think that was my downfall.

That question about what I would say I would do here really threw me for a loop. :D

9. bigpern23

Re: The Bobs are on their way, and they do not celebrate my entire catalogue

Thanks, Cook. It's a little hard to stomach that my career in journalism is likely over, but my interview this morning went well and the job sounds a lot more exciting than I initially expected. Next step is to meet the president of the company and, again, not to toot my own horn, but I always feel like if I get in the door, I'm going to get the job. Hopefully, that trend will continue with this one.

Have to go buy a suit now, though. My old one hangs on me like a 9-year-old wearing his dad's suit after all my weight loss last year. Thankfully, this morning's interview was a little more informal and a shirt and tie was good enough. Oh yeah, and pants. I definitely made sure to wear pants this time.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

You may not think so now but the day you leave the journalism business (as we know it today) for another job will be one of the happiest days in your life.

11. bigpern23

Well, this is it. It looks like my journalism career is at an end. About to walk of a newsroom for what I assume is the final time. Sayonara, suckers!

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Been there. I look back on that day fondly. There is life outside.

Draft saved Draft deleted