1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I find the Bobs' lack of faith disturbing (AKA, I got a jobby job on page 2)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Re: The Bobs are on their way

Good luck, bp. And remember that the outside firm, like many consultants, are being hired to provide what drives just about every business decision -- plausible deniability. Most businesses don't make decisions based on what will make them succeed. They make decisions based on what people can explain away when the decision fails.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Looks like my people skills weren't enough to impress the Bobs. I am now a member of the 10 percent of unemployed people in our country.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Crap. Didn't think it was good to see this thread bumped back to the top.

Sorry to hear it, bigpern. Good luck.

4. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Very, very sorry to hear that bigpern.

You will look back on this, from a much better job, and scoff at the Bobs.

5. bigpern23

Thanks, PC and Care Bear. I'm not sure if I'm more irritated that they cut 20 percent of our newsroom staff, or that they did us the favor of making us stay on until Friday, Nov. 10. They told us they did it so we could get one last pay period, butthe cynic in me is pretty sure it was only because elections are next week.

I would have preferred they let me go right then, rather than make me go back to work. One of the folks who got the axe didn't return, he just left. I wanted to join him, but I need to protect myself and make sure I get unemployment.

Oh, and they laid off a pregnant woman. Seriously.

Thankfully, I had my eyes open early and have a job interview tomorrow. However, I am sad to say my journalism career likely ends Nov. 10. Feels a lot like failure.

6. bigpern23

Btw, I absolutely love that one of my supporters on this thread is named PCLoadLetter. What the fuck is PCLoadLetter? :D

7. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

You didn't create a "jump to conclusions" mat. THAT is failure. :)

You will be OK -- smart, even-keeled guy like you will end up on his feet.

Be glad you can collect unemployment, too. It's not sexy, but it works.

Don't be hard on yourself. Show up for work. Keep interviewing. You will prevail. :)

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to hear of it BigPern. I've been in your spot, so I know how it feels, but good luck on that interview. Knock 'em dead.

The best advice I can give is to try to pick up some new skills (duh), and also try a new hobby to keep your mind occupied.

9. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Also, you can always look up "money laundering" in the dictionary for extra cash.

10. bigpern23

I just need to get hit by a truck and all my money problems will be solved ... Then I'll invest in my jump to conclusions board! :D

As for feeling like a failure, it's largely because I always felt if I loved what I did and I was good at it, I'd make a good living at it. I love journalism and, not to toot my own horn, I'm DAMN good at what I do.

So now, realizing that I won't ever reach the levels I had hoped to in journalism is a little tough to take.

11. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Sure you will, if that's what you want. Regroup. Stuff happens for a reason. It's cliched because it's true.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted