1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I find the Bobs' lack of faith disturbing (AKA, I got a jobby job on page 2)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Sep 14, 2011.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

My company has hired an outside consulting firm to "find efficiencies" and "streamline operations." In other words, layoffs are coming, probably soon, and those left behind will be expected to work smarter and harder for no more pay. My guess is that my neck will be on the chopping block.

I guess it's time to either start brushing up on the entire catalogue of Michael Bolton or looking for a way to transition to life after journalism. And, frankly, Michael Bolton sucks.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Re: The Bobs are on their way

Best of luck, bp.

Frankly, I think if you have to hire people from the outside to see where "efficiencies" and "streamlining" can be made, they should start by firing the bosses.

3. bigpern23

Thanks, Ace, and that's a good point ... Isn't that part of the bosses job description, making their company run as efficiently and cost-effectively as possible?

4. bigpern23

For any of you who have been laid off, do they generally give you any pay to give you time to find a job, or do you just get taken out on the lake like Fredo?

5. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

I like that part of cost reducing strategies involves paying an outside company to come in and tell you how to cut costs.

6. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Bob Slydell: What would you say ya do here?
    Tom Smykowski: Well look, I already told you! I deal with the goddamn customers so the engineers don't have to! I have people skills! I am good at dealing with people! Can't you understand that? What the hell is wrong with you people?

Seriously, best of luck, bigpern.

7. joe

joe Active Member

Get your unemployment paperwork started today. You can't file yet, but having that shit all filled out will help cut down the time when you have to.

8. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.

9. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Sorry, man. I'll go out on a limb and say it's a company called "Journatic", or something close to that.

We had that same bullshit last month. First couple layoffs came this week -- not as bad as I thought they might be -- and who knows if there are more to come.

It sucks, and it sucks hard. I know what you're feeling. Hang in there.

10. bigpern23

I'm so glad someone posted that quote ... one of the funniest scenes in the movie. :D Thanks, CB

11. bigpern23

Different company, but I'm sure they follow the same MO. Very stressful, considering I'm trying to dig out of a financial hole as it is (one I was actually making some headway on, too).

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Hopefully all you are doing is pulling this out.

[​IMG]

Personally, I would beat the rush and stock up on flair.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted