1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I feel like stirring the pot this morning.. If the Civil War was never fought...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Feb 18, 2014.

?

When does slavery go away in the South?

1. Before 1900

36.7%
  2. Between 1900 and 1920

16.7%
  3. Between 1920 and 1940

3.3%
  4. Between 1940 and 1960

13.3%
  5. Between 1960 and 1980

8.3%
  6. Between 1980 and 2000

1.7%
  7. Between 2000 and now

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. To this day, there would still be slavery in the South

20.0%
  1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Anyone have thoughts on how the South could have aligned with Germany in WW1 or 2?

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

IMO Germany certainly would have taken a shot at aligning with the CSA in WW I.

Even if they hadn't fully succeeded but convinced them to remain neutral, the whole dynamic of the end of the war would have changed -- which of course would have changed the whole backdrop for WW II.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

It's more likely that the U.S.A. would've remained neutral in WWI so as to have to re-fight the Civil War ... or fight it for the first time depending on what looking glass we're peering into.

4. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

But then again, Russia might have annexed Alaska, and marched right down into the Pac NWest.....had they not sold it to the US in the first place two years after what would have been the end of the Civil War.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

What?

Yeah. Russia had a lot of success in wars back then. They couldn't even knock Japan out of China in 1904. They got dumptrucked at various stages by the unmotivated Austro-Hungarian army in WWI too.

The only war in its recent history where Russia/Soviet Union performed well was World War II ... and that was after a bloodletting that makes our wars look like a Playboy Mansion orgy in comparison.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Russia was something like 13-3 in its 19th century conflicts.

In the early 20th century conflicts they were, uh, kind of distracted with pressing uprisings at home.

7. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

We're talking no Civil War, so 13-3 in the 19th century should count for something, not to mention that we're talking about altering history at home, so why couldn't the 20th Century Russia change?

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

As I mentioned a couple pages back, that's one of the presumptions of MacKinlay Kantor's "If the South had won the Civil War": that the U.S.A., struggling financially after the CSA-victorious conflict and the massive expense of moving the national capital from Washington D.C. to Columbus, Ohio, simply wouldn't have had enough money to buy Alaska off the Russians in 1868.

Although as I also noted in one of the followup posts, my suspicion is that Great Britain would have snapped it up and appended it on to Canada.

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I hope Brian Dennehy gets that line in the movie of this thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted