1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I feel like stirring the pot this morning.. If the Civil War was never fought...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Feb 18, 2014.

?

When does slavery go away in the South?

1. Before 1900

36.7%
  2. Between 1900 and 1920

16.7%
  3. Between 1920 and 1940

3.3%
  4. Between 1940 and 1960

13.3%
  5. Between 1960 and 1980

8.3%
  6. Between 1980 and 2000

1.7%
  7. Between 2000 and now

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. To this day, there would still be slavery in the South

20.0%
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Certainly, if someone makes a well-structured argument, particularly about something I had not put thought into in the first place. In particular, it may cause me to understand the weaknesses in my own position, and re-evaluate it.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

http://www.chron.com/news/crime/article/Noose-tied-on-Ole-Miss-integration-statue-5245153.php

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

You reasoned yourself into these positions.
    That took time and some measure of intellectual discipline.
    You're going to blow all up because some Ivy League egghead read some abstruse tract even he doesn't seem to understand?

4. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

I don't know. Take the point of divergence as 1861. Both the South and Lincoln back off and some sort of lasting compromise is forged. No war and slavery for the next few decades is confined to the slave states in 1860 but not expanding into the territories or any new states. That being said, I think it ends between 1900 and 1920, with a soft landing or a bloody, destructive one?

A lot of factors contribute to making slavery unprofitable. Artificial silk goes into commercial production in the 1900s, reducing the need for cotton. Factory workers plucked from the swarm of immigrants in the 1870s and 1880s are cheaper, when you take into account you to don't have to feed and board them. And with the expansion of the west, and increasing population densities in the north, there are lots more places to run off to, and a lot more abolitionists to help escaping slaves.

So, slave owners gradually free their slaves, turning them into sharecroppers. Or you have a bloody series of revolts, with the North unwilling to help out.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

If slavery were legal why wouldn't Henry Ford have built his production lines in Mobile Alabama rather than Detroit?

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Can't really accept the premise of the question. It would have taken a civil war to end it and that war would have taken place at some point.

7. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

If this debate interests you, I suggest reading some of Harry Turtledove's stuff. He's written full fiction series about it, some of which are more science fiction-y than others.

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Since slavery is still around, it seems reasonable to guess that slavery would still be a thing.

While the Civil War was a miserable, terrible thing, it happened but if it hadn't when it did, it would have happened later.

The states were spoiling for a fight.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

It probably wouldn't have been an institutional thing for much longer. Given the explosion of technology over the next 40 years, large-scale slavery quickly would have become far less profitable -- if not downright unprofitable -- and therefore likely would have died out and been outlawed by 1900.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Considering it took until 1920 for enough people in the country to be persuaded that women should be given the right to vote, I'd think that slavery in some form in the South would have continued because it was that much of an institution in the region. It might have become a rarer thing because of economic factors, but I think it still would have existed in some form, barring a wide-scale revolt.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Don't even get me started on what a disaster that has turned out to be.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The path to the Civil War is chock full of bad decisions, but even slavery aside - in many ways the Civil War was a war that was destined to be fought on some level, much like World War I. So much change, economic, political and societal - hell, we still have states resisting federal primacy.

Draft saved Draft deleted