1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I feel like stirring the pot this morning.. If the Civil War was never fought...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Feb 18, 2014.

?

When does slavery go away in the South?

1. Before 1900

36.7%
  2. Between 1900 and 1920

16.7%
  3. Between 1920 and 1940

3.3%
  4. Between 1940 and 1960

13.3%
  5. Between 1960 and 1980

8.3%
  6. Between 1980 and 2000

1.7%
  7. Between 2000 and now

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. To this day, there would still be slavery in the South

20.0%
  1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

No.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Low wages?

3. printit

printit Member

It would have taken a long time. I have never bought into the argument that the South would have freed their slaves shortly after winning the Civil War. The landowners had too much money tied up in the slaves. The idea that they "didn't need the slaves to farm anymore" or whatever, misses the point that the slaves, to those who owned them, were capital. Slaves becoming obsolete equals the majority of the slave owner's wealth becoming obsolete. This was the wealth they borrowed against, etc. And who is to say slavery would only work on a farm? There were plenty of slaves doing non-farm work before the civil war, and could have been used in factory work post Civil War.

The end of slavery would only have come after enough states joined the union to amend the Constitution to outlaw slavery (and the South might have still left anyway, which gets us back where we started) or when the laws changed in the North such that a combination of legal and economic pressure would have forced a change (i.e. stop returning runaway slaves and boycott products made by anyone associated with slave labor). Slavery was losing every time the nation expanded; it didn't travel well. Time was not on the South's side as far as that went.

The most creative ending to slavery I've ever heard would have involved the federal government using eminent domain to confiscate the slaves from the South. The landowners gripe but probably take the money and the slaves are free. That might have worked.

To answer the OP's question, I'll predict early 20th century.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

NFL

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Human trafficking.

6. Dick Whitman

Name them then.

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Not up for a fight.
    If you like it as a source of commentary, more power to you.

8. Dick Whitman

I'm not fighting.

People use Slate as a punch line here.

I'm interested to hear the particular criticisms of the commentary of writers like Lithwick, Dickerson, and Yglesias, and why it reflects poorly on one to read Slate.

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I'm guessing it happens around World War II (assuming WWII still happens). The demands on man power during that time for the war effort may have forced slaves either into the service or into the north to work in factories. Plantation owners would have eventually figured out how to farm without slaves, especially with automobile advances that happened in the early part of the 20th century. With more and more slaves going free, laws probably would have been passed to outlaw the practice and would have been met with less resistance.

10. 3_Octave_Fart

Tonally, Slate is all over the place- I find that aggravating.
    People don't like being delivered sermons on the mount from an online journal that can't even decide what the hell it wants to be.

11. Dick Whitman

That's fair.

I do think, in isolation, some of their pieces - particularly by the people I named, or by movie critic Dana Stevens or some of their sports writers - are very good.

As in, I wouldn't dismiss a piece just because it came from Slate. I think their commentary, overall, is stronger than the New York Times's op-ed regulars.

12. 3_Octave_Fart

I guess I just don't see the need to seek out opinion writing anymore.
    Are you really likely to change your mind?
    Calls into question the entire point of this as well- message-boarding.
    Good thing I don't take it very seriously.

Draft saved Draft deleted