1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I fear this is going to suck: A Bridge To Terabithia movie

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Nov 28, 2006.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

That's awesome.

I also read it in fifth grade. Well, read it isn't the correct term. Our language arts teacher would read us a chapter of a book each day. I loved Terabithia from the start, and I'll never forget when she finished the chapter where Jess is told by his sister that Leslie is dead. ("Your girlfriend is dead and mamma thought you was dead too.")

It was a Wednesday and my sister had some kind of dance class or something downtown, so my mom would take me to Dunkin Donuts while we waited for her class to end. The whole time at Dunkin, I was talking a mile a minute. "Do you think Leslie is really dead Mom? Do you? Do you? I can't wait until tomorrow. Is she dead?"

A few years ago, I was at a bookstore with my wife and her then-preteen cousins when we found a new hardcover edition of the book. I was so happy I could have wept (wussy alert). Bought it and read it all over again that night.

If this movie sucks I am going to maim someone.

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

BYH, let me know when you're about to maim a Hollywood jagoff for ruining this book. It's my favorite book and if it's ruined, someone's got to be held accountable. To this day, it's the only thing that can make me cry.

3. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I freakin' love The Westing Game. Read it a zillion times as a kid. The frayed book is currently on my shelf at home - I stole it from my mom's shelf.

4. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Next up: "A Separate Peace" with a catch: Gene and Phineas switch appearances in a Face-Off-like twist just before a tragic accident.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

That was also read to us in class in fifth grade.

But me and another kid were so eager to know how it ended that we bought the book over the weekend and finished it. Teacher goes "I know you guys read it so don't spoil it for the rest of us!"

I got it a few years ago from the same cousins who were with me when I bought Bridge to Terabithia.

6. DyePack

DyePack New Member

They also could merge "To Kill A Mockingbird" with "The Crying Game": Scout makes a disturbing discovery about Jem while returning from the pageant.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I've never heard of either of those books. Of course, our teachers had us reading Anne McCaffrey's dragon books, which I'm sure you guys haven't heard of.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Don't think I read The Westing Game. I was too busy reading baseball books. ::)

9. mannheimadler

mannheimadler Member

Please tell me you're not serious. I loved this book and this would be a total tragedy.

What's next? Ender's Game starring John Cena as Mazer Rackham?

10. pallister

pallister Guest

I've never heard of his book of which you speak, either, BYH. And I'm the same age.

And why couldn't you read your own books in fifth grade?

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Count me in the "too-old-to-know" category for this book, too...I watched the trailer in an edit bay w/ a 23 year old and he nearly wet his pants over it. Me? Clueless.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

It was written in '77, and a Newberry Medal winner in '78. I don't know when they started using it in classrooms, but I first read it in fourth grade -- it was my reading teacher's favorite book, and she wanted us all to read it -- so that would have been 1991.

It also holds the distinction of being the 9th-most frequently challenged book for censorship from 1990-2000. <a href="http://www.ala.org/ala/oif/bannedbooksweek/bbwlinks/100mostfrequently.htm">Full list here</a>.

Read Banned Books: <a href="http://www.banned-books.com/">www.banned-books.com</a>.

Draft saved Draft deleted