1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I f-ed up big time, aka FML

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Rusty,
    Let's play poker.

2. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

That's me in the back with no chips. Buck with his back to us and a big pile of chips.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Yea, I agree with Ace here. You are already past the 1,000 application part. You've had your interview and they can put a face with the resume.

And since they're calling you back for a second interview, they must have liked what you said.

As far as the message, just say you didn't get the message until 10am or whatever. No need to say what you were or weren't doing really.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

One more thought: if the company really expects you there within a two-hour window and won't reschedule if you can't make it on the short notice, it may be a sign you don't want to work for that company?

Of course, any job is a good one right now.

5. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

6. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

Good luck with it all. Just don't lie or make up any more excuses.

All you had to say was, "Sorry, I just got the message."

You told the truth, You're not hiding anything. At this point, you don't work for them and were not under any obligation to sit by the phone waiting for the call. You didn't miss a scheduled meeting, you just got a message later in the same morning that it was left.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I drink at night and sleep until 10 a.m.

8. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Hey, that's the half truth! - Homer Simpson

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Exactly. Don't offer any more information than what you're asked for.

Treat it the same way a source would treat an interview with you if you're a reporter. If you volunteer too much information, you could go from a non-story or a footnote as part of a routine story to something that becomes a huge story.

To me, calling back 10 minutes after 10 isn't what you should be saying FML about. It's making up the excuse. It sets you off on the wrong foot with a potential employer. What if your would-be boss is sitting at the bar with one of his buddies who happens to be someone who knows you and who says, "Oh him? He sleeps in 'till 10 the lazy bastard."

And if would-be boss finds out the real reason you didn't get back in touch with him and was ready to offer you the job, guess what? You're out of a job. And if he hired you, he might fire you for that.

Believe me, I've been on the other side of that interview table. If you're trying to bullshit me, either I'll find out or my employee whom I've assigned to sit and chat with you is going to find out. And if we decide you're trying to pull the wool over our eyes, you aren't getting hired. Simple as that.

Also, I'll tell you what my reaction would have been if you'd just said, "sorry, I just got your message." I would have simply said, "all right. When can you come in?" And I wouldn't have given it a second thought.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Seriously, Rusty, all you had to do is call back, tell them "Sorry I missed your call, I just got your message and I'm available for the rest of the day or anytime tommorrow. Please let me know when we can reschedule this meeeting. Thanks."

If they eliminated you because you didn't answer a call at 8 a.m. and get there by 10, then they either didn't want you to start with or it's a place where you might not want to work.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Eat peanut butter before going into the interview. It helps mask the smell of liquor on your breath.

Draft saved Draft deleted