1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I don't want to bust on this guy, but this is the worst art I have ever seen

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 93Devil, Jan 30, 2008.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

http://www.newhavenindependent.org/archives/2008/01/gateway_design.php

I am researching something for work, and I came across this story.

I know this guy is forced to take the pictures, but how do they make the online edition?

I would delete these from my camera if I took them. They would not even merit an upload. Lord knows they would never see the light of day.

Scroll down the story to see them all.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Sadly, I have seen worse.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Not knocking you, 93, but while they won't win the Pulitzer, I don't know if they were thread-worthy bad, either.

4. statrat

statrat Member

Hmm... random people in poorly focused shots looking at something out of view of the camera that is probably far more interesting...that makes A1 at my shop on your typical day. Not kidding. I think its policy to run art that is as uninteresting as possible.

5. 93Devil

Wow. I would have thought that if were sitting in a room with a group of people for an extended period of time, something better had to come across.

My bad then. I had no idea there was worse out there on the news side.

6. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

Back when I was the top dog in a one-man department, including shooting my own photos, there were much worse that had to run because of necessity.

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, I do see what you're saying, but they at least did show what the people referenced in the story looked like, I guess.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

That's a good point, too....those pages have to have SOMETHING on them.

9. I hear that. When I landed my first job post-college I had no photography experience whatsoever and we were pre-digital. Needless to say, I ran some REALLY bad art for a while because I simply didn't have a choice.

10. 93Devil

I took my own sports pictures with B&W film that I had to "push" indoors at my first job.

But in this day and age of digital cameras?

I know sports is harder, and that is why you always take 1-2 of the coach or a player standing still, but IMHO you have to do better.

11. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

Those are bad photos, but the phony-handshake-check-donation photos featuring three people with phony smiles are worse. They sort of remind me of the phony football photos from the 1950s where the quarterback would cock his arm back with the football acting like he was in the middle of throwing the ball in play...of course, with his helmet off.

12. 93Devil

Execution style is how my college prof described the lined up against a wall shots.

Draft saved Draft deleted