1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I don't want this to turn into a Simmons rip-fest, but one question:

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GBNF, Apr 17, 2008.

1. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Do you think Simmons has a copy editor at ESPN?

I enjoy his writing, particularly on the NBA minus the Celtics, and I read everything he writes. I'll generally catch a typo in every story, but nothing serious.

But in his NBA MVP column (top 47), he writes this:

Farmar would be particularly useless on the Lakers' 05-06 team, seeing as he was still at UCLA.

Bynum was the Lakers' first round pick in 05, not Farmar.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

His stories are pretty rife with factual errors, GBNF. It's not just one or two per story.

3. Grimace

Grimace Guest

Simmons and blogs suck!!!

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But just to add to what Doc said, I usually stumble on several typos in most of his online stories. That's what happens when you write 10,000 words every time out.

4. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Maybe so, but does he not have editors, or is it just to cumbersome to edit a 10,000 word article. I've never tried, so I can't relate.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

If you or I or Grimace can spot these errors pretty easily, how hard can it be for someone whose job it supposedly is to actually do it?

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

That would involve hiring a Simmons cabana boy.

There enough money in the world to induce somebody to take that job?

7. Grimace

Grimace Guest

It's written differently and with a different deadline, but I see a load of typos in King's MMQB stories, same with Simmons.

Honestly I don't know the answer. You would think the "stars" would get extra special attention from copy editors, but, no.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

If you don't want to turn a thread into a Simmons ripfest, then don't start a thread on Simmons.

And yeah, I noticed that too, did a doubletake. I was too busy guffawing at his bullcrap regarding why garnett is the MVP.

Some papers have a "Don't edit the columnists!" rule. That can lead to A. Errors getting in the paper because editors know they can't change anything without writer dude freaking out; and B. Editors seeing errors, and saying, "F%$# that a-hole and his ego. That stays in."

Maybe that's what it is with Simmons and King. I actually would be quite amused if that were the case.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Honestly, I'm a Laker fan, and I kind of shrugged my shoulders. I'm sure Bill is edited; whomever it was just doesn't have an encylopedic knowledge of the NBA. I'm more bothered by the slobber knocker he gave Garnett.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

As a former columnist, I can't imagine WANTING to have a no-edit clause. That's really letting one's ego get in the way of one's own best interests.
    Also, and this is painful, I kind of agree with Simmons. Garnett is not getting the MVP consideration he deserves. Bryant's gonna win, and that's OK, but the contest should be closer.

11. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Bingo.

12. The Man kept him down at the Boston Herald.
    The Man can't keep him down now.

Draft saved Draft deleted