1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I don't know what to make of this

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GB-Hack, Jan 19, 2007.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

From Mark Schlabach's column on ESPN today.

"In the end, Meyer proved to be right. Michigan lost to No. 4 Southern California 32-18 in the Rose Bowl presented by Citi. And the Gators, despite being overwhelming underdogs, blasted the top-ranked Buckeyes 41-14 in the BCS title game to win the school's second national championship."

I'm confused as to the inclusion of the title sponsor for the Rose Bowl, and then not doing to same for the Tostitos Championship game, as it was this year.

You think this has anything to do with ABC/ESPN still having the Rose Bowl and not the others, or what is going on here?

2. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

You may have answered your own question, dear sir.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

That's what it smacks of, yes. But who knows if Schlabach wrote it that way, or if it was edited in/out that way ...

When Citi pays our paper some kind of advertisement/sponsorship fee, we will use "Rose Bowl presented by Citi". But we are under no obligation to use their name otherwise.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Just seems shabby to me, and I like Schlabach's work.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

I guarantee you the "presented by Citi" was inserted by an editor

The Mouse loves synergy, you now.

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

It is official. Vince Doria has lost his soul.
    15 years ago, Doria would have skinned Schlabach alive (or whomever was responsible).

7. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

appalling. i'm going to puke.

8. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i just loved when i was covering a bowl game a few years ago and the flak from the sponsoring company -- not the bowl's flak -- called to implore me to use the company's name in all stories. she honestly couldn't grasp why i wouldn't use it on every reference. i think my SE finally agreed to use it on first reference, but nothing more.

Draft saved Draft deleted