1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I don't know Paul Newberry ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Justin_Rice, Nov 26, 2010.

1. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Agree that first sentence is maybe a little much and second sentence is very good. It's backed up by the fact that 'Bama had won 20 in a row at home. At least 19 other QBs failed to bring their teams back. It's a big enough sample size to sugest Newton has few peers in that dept.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Lede from AP gamer on Notre Dame-USC:

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=303310030

3. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

I don't know Paul Newberry, but I'm certainly willing to trust all of the endorsements here that he's a professional, a good writer and a good guy.

If the AP is on a crusade to wring the formula out, I'm all for that, too. But that sentence crosses the line into editorializing, plain and simple.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That's a writer trying to convince himself he had a good assignment.

5. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

And convince the readers of same.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Paging ... well, me!

This kind of sentence has belonged in game stories, AP and otherwise, for 20 years or more. Unfortunately, everybody figured it out way too late.

Newberry's AP's expert at the game; he's experienced, he knows his shit. His opinionated take and expertise matter and are value-added for the reader.

This is precisely what game stories need, and have always needed (and in fact, what a lot of them probably had in about 1940).

Obviously, anybody who knows me knows I have been saying this since about 1985.

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I agree...this kind of thing has been creeping into AP stories more and more.

And (see above) should be.

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

It is columnizing a "news" story? Eh, maybe. I'd submit that Newberry has earned a little latitude in this area. He's good enough to know where the line is. Personally, I don't think he crossed it here. If you don't want it in the story that runs in your paper/on your website, you certainly have the latitude to take it out. Put this kind of thing in a political campaign story and I doubt anybody makes an issue of it.

9. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

well if they define intersectional rivalry as a catholic school from Indiana against a private nonsectarian university from Los Angeles you can't really argue it.

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

What a weird line the AP has to hoe.

Nobody wants vanilla AP copy anymore unless it isn't vanilla and then everybody wants vanilla again.

The other thing is that the AP has a different master now and it isn't newspapers. Online is where they are headed and online sites like Yahoo! want smart, opinionated takes just like newspapers want the same from its staffs. It is just that (some) newspapers don't want it from AP.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

The death of the traditional game story is long overdue.

12. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

When I open the Sports Digest for Georgia each afternoon, it's usually the highlight of my day to see a game covered by Paul Newberry. It's the bane of my existence to see one by George Henry.

Draft saved Draft deleted