1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I don't know Paul Newberry ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Justin_Rice, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Several years ago, AP had a big push to take the "AP-ness" out of game stories. I would imagine that's even more prevalent today.

My guess is the portion cited got him an "attaboy" from HQ rather than a rebuke.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I had no idea about that, Smasher. Interesting.

3. If it disappeared in the write-thru, then I guess HQ didn't approve.

Personally, I didn't like it. I'm all for sprucing up AP gamers, but that is an awfully broad generalization.

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Or if it disappeared in the writethru (and I don't know that it did) it could be that Newberry dumped it himself because he believed the same point was made in a quote by someone else.

I don't know the details of this case.

But I can tell you that the AP has been on a crusade to wring the AP formula out of their stories. Perhaps someone who works for them can chime in on that.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I've noticed the same, Smasher, and there are times when it's welcome. Perhaps not in a rivalry game, though.

6. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Uh, perhaps I'm missing something here, but it's pretty damn hard to argue that the paragraph in question ISN'T true. The kid at Oregon is a good player, but Newton's done it against opponents from the best conference in the country week after week.

I didn't have a problem with it.

Also, I know Paul well enough to call him by his nickname - "Scooter" - on the rare occasions we run into each other.

7. accguy

accguy Member

What I don't know about this case is what version of the game story was this.

Was this the gamer filed at the gun? Or was it in the optional?

Writing a full game story at the gun is not a picnic -- especially when you need to write the winner. It's much easier if you only care about one team, but even that isn't super easy.

All that said, I don't have a major problem with the paragraph. The first sentence could be have been softened just a touch, but I think the second sentence is totally fine.

Part of the job of the writer is to provide perspective in a game story (or at least it should be). This wasn't just any comeback led by just any QB. That needs to be explained.

To the people who don't think it belongs, what if it said this:

"Love him or deride him as a tainted star, Newton has few peers on the field. It’s unlikely that many in the country could lead a team back from such a daunting deficit in Tuscaloosa, where Alabama had won 20 in a row."

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I'm OK with this. I don't mind when a gamer offers an assessment that is descriptive. I consider it crossing the opinion line when it suggests an action ought to follow or should have followed -- give someone the Heisman, fire a coach, bench a player.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I'm a Bama honk on the verge of 12 step, and I didn't think there was anything wrong with it.

10. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I have no problem with it. 10, maybe even 5 years ago, I would have. But not anymore.
    Write it. Write it like you're there. That's the only commodity we have left.
    I think the day has long past for score and play regurgitation.

11. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Good thoughts, perspective from all. Thanks. The main reason I come to this board is to learn more, think more about the craft.

12. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

If the AP is attempting to shed its rote recounting of games with a little more spice, then his additional insights and writing flair are welcome.

If it disappeared in the second and subsequent versions, maybe it's because better information was available and substituted. Maybe someone at HQ took it out. Until he or someone from AP sheds light, we don't know.

But I'll take Paulie's work any day, from any event. He's a pro. He also doesn't overreact when someone asks, "The AP? What's that?"

Draft saved Draft deleted