1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I don't know if it's global warming, but ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spnited, Jan 6, 2007.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

It's Jan. 6 and it's 71 degrees in the NYC Metro area and I just went out wearing a T-shirt and no jacket.
    Nothing like summer in January in the Northeast.

2. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

In my mid-western neck of the woods, I was wearing jeans and a t-shirt and driving with the windows open - two days after Christmas Day, that is.

3. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Me and my gas bill certainly aren't complaining. Not after last winter.

4. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

According to Bill Ney "The Science Guy," who was on MSNBC this morning, it's a mixture of El Nino, global warming and climate change (which has nothing to do with greenhouse gases). Ney said that scientists are projecting 2007 to be the warmest year ever.

5. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Fixed.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Well, whatever it is, I know it's only important because it's affecting the very important people who live in the most important city in the world, New York.

7. dog428

dog428 Active Member

What exactly are you saying here?

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

No, moron, it has to do with the fact that the average January temps in the Northeast are low to mid 30s.
    We're nearly 40 degrees above that and it has nothing to do with how important we NY Metro folks are
    (And, yes, we are more fucking important than you because I don't give a fuck where you are, but you seem obsessed with people from this area thinking we're better than you)

9. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

It's warm here, too, but snow showers are possible by Tuesday.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

That's right. Nothing to think about. It's only a buncha NY-area liberals thinking about this.

It's perfectly normal to tan in January.

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Well down here in Florida, it was hot as hell out today. I sweated through my shirt just watching a soccer match, and my electric company is going to be very happy with the way I'm having to run my A/C.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Jesus, anyone who doesn't think global warming is a reality is right up there with the ID folks.

The polar ice cap--the barometer of temperature changes--is rapidly shrinking. That's not a "oh, we just started measuring global temperatures phenomena", that's a major problem. Just last week scientists reported that an ancient arctic ice shelf the size of 11,000 football fields broke off from Ellesmere Island in Canada's Arctic.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/30/science/earth/30ice.html?ex=1168232400&en=a0bf7ae49adb78ff&ei=5070

Every single serious scientist knows that it's a major issue. The question isn't whether it exists or not, it's a question of how do we deal with it.

Draft saved Draft deleted