1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I don't know how to swallow this because I worshiped Dr. J when I was young.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Here's hoping they can both find happiness together.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Samanthan Stevenson seems to get off the hook through all of this for breaking a taboo -- having an affair with someone she covered. The white and black doesn't matter. Couldn't you say she set the cause of female sportswriters back more than she helped?

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

If it doesn't matter, why'd you bring it up?

4. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Legitimate question and I'm sure that re-inforced the views of many men that women only became sports writers to meet men and see dicks... of course, that's hooey.. but in what regard is Samantha Stevenson responsible for Dr. J being a total and complete failure as a father to his daughter?

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Who says she's responsible for that?

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

To circumvent the people who this board who would make some kind of accusation of being a bigot. If I had not written the sentence," the black and white of it doesn't matter" I would still been grilled. Leave the race aside ... Samantha Stevenson did not help the cause of female sportswriters. Not one bit.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Well, she could have chosen not to have an affair with a married who, and someone she covered. Did she think that was going to end well?

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

You're right, but that in itself never excused Erving from his responsibilities as a father.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Hondo, as someone who was around the Sixers when Samantha was there, you are correct, she didn't help the cause of female sports writers. However, Doc doesn't get a free pass either. He was and still is a ladies man. He had a beautiful woman in Turquoise but wanted more. They were both wrong.
    The decision of Doc not seeing his daughter is a complicated one on a few angles. The bottom line is that Samantha should've told her daughter about him and encouraged some sort of communication.
    I'm glad to see that father and daughter are finding each other. I wish them well.

Draft saved Draft deleted