1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I don't get Wes Anderson

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Watching Darjeeling Limited. That makes his films 1 for 6 with me, with Rushmore and Zissou getting a half-credit each. The same cacophony of mildly humorous scenes and ridiculous emotional detachment.

Bizarre, because I love Owen Wilson. I'm really hoping that Marley & Me starts giving us a look at the guy in a more mature, yet more accessible place in his dramatic career.

EDIT: Any movie with Clair de Lune in it gets some credit from me.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Which is the one you liked? Or is it .5+.5=1?

Did you not like The Royal Tenenbaums at all?

3. Simon_Cowbell

Godawful to my tastes.

Christ.... I love Hackman, too.

4. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

I really enjoyed The Darjeeling Limited. I don't think it was as good as Tenenbaums or The Life Aquatic (my favorite Anderson film), but it was fun.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I didn't like Darjeeling or Bottle Rocket. I like the other three, especially Rushmore.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Now, all of sudden, it seems Debussy has unlocked this film.... it just got good for me.

This movie is different than his others.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'll put a big qualification on this having not seen Royal Tenenbaums, but I'm sort of with Simon.

I like Life Aquatic because you know it's ridiculous on its face going in. I once thought Rushmore was wildly overrated, I like it a little bit better after having seen it recently, but it's still overrated.

If there's an Anderson directing, my money goes to Paul Thomas, not Wes.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Without my slightest hesitation.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'll say this for Wes ... the man can put together some killer soundtracks.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

He got Natalie Portman to take her clothes off, at least a little bit, for the "Hotel Chevalier" mini movie, so he's got that going for him.

11. John

John Well-Known Member

I didn't love Darjeeling Limited, but I liked it. I love just about everything else he's done.

12. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

i think he's a comic genius. tennenbaums is one of the best films of all time.

Draft saved Draft deleted