1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I don't care what anyone else says, CANADA DOES NOT SUCK

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chuck~Taylor, Jul 5, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I thought that was Prince Edward Island. :)

2. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Prince Edward Island would like to lay claim to that title, but it's ours for the keeping.

Any Canadian sj members coming to Halifax for the Tall Ships or Jazz Fest this month?

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You paying airfare? :)

Problem is, we've only got a week and that's not long enough to drive down East. It's a two day trek.

Besides, I'll be down there this fall for my kids' school's homecoming.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I didn't like Vancouver that much the couple of times I went there, but I do love Victoria.
    B.C. is a pretty cool place.

And I have always heard Toronto is awesome, but I have yet to go there. Maybe that should be added to my 'To Do before I die an untimely death' list.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I think you can aim higher than Toronto on that list. :)

Victoria's OK--if you're about to or have just retired.

Just out of curiosity, what didn't you like about Vancouver?

(I'm from the East so it's OK to bash those smug bastards out there who think they invented the mountains and the ocean). :)

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

We have boats in our harbour and a pretty good jazz fest of our own here in Toronto so I wouldn't go down there for that.

What we don't have is awesome bars like Halifax does.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Vancouver was just a letdown for me. I had heard it built up my entire life and I didn't see too much of a difference between it and American cities I had visited. It wasn't all that big, the people weren't exceptionally friendly and, at least when I was growing up, there was a major dislike between Vancouver folks and Seattle folks. It was like they were in competition for the cooler city rather than just having their own niche.

Maybe if I went back I would like it.

Actually a city I did like, now that I remember another trip to Canada, was Edmonton. Back when the Edmonton Mall was the only super mall I went to it and had seen nothing like it. I remember the drive from Seattle to Edmonton as being true beauty, much better than Washington State has to offer.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I was wondering when the Toronto Vancouver thing would start.
    We didn't just invent the oceans and the mountains.
    We also have 500 Sq ft million dollar condo's, professional protesters taking over the city and free heroin

9. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I love Canada. Just sayin'.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

JC
    The Vancover/Toronto thing is so overrated. We don't think of you at all. :)

I love Vancouver--been out a dozen times or so. Stanley Park is fabulous and named after the guy who gave us the Mug.

11. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

It seems as though the Anglophiles have taken over the board. No mention of Montreal or Quebec as cool cities?

12. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I lived in Victoria for 4 years (undergrad) and it's a nice place. Less rain than Vancouver, adventurous opera company, ocean. It's a little on the slow side sometimes but I enjoyed living there.

Lived in Montreal for 4 years (grad school) and enjoyed it too. I don't think I could live there for an extended period - it can be difficult for an Anglophone even if you can speak some French. Great restaurants and bars, great symphony, vital theatre and film.

What I find difficult is going back to Vancouver and seeing how much it's changing. Everywhere there used to be trees in North Vancouver there are now subdivisions. Kinda sad.

Draft saved Draft deleted