1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I don't believe ... what I just saw!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, May 23, 2008.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I was watching the original Planet Of The Apes late last night on AMC as I nodded off on the couch.

They go to the 1,000,000,000th commercial during the movie, AMC's M.O., and a Trojan ad pops on. I think nothing of it.

It's these two women yakking, and I'm presuming their going to beat the dead advertising horse of trying to make men feel inadequate if they don't use a certain product. You know the type. "MY man uses (fill in penis enhancement/sexual aid), maybe your man should too."

But they threw me a curveball. The women were talking about Trojan Vibrating Touch Finger Massager. The women were in a library (?!?) or some public building, and the jist was that one woman loved her Finger Massager and was trying to convince her friend to try it.

A matronly librarian was eavesdropping, and in a moment designed for maximum creepiness, the middle-aged horn dog extolls the virtues of the Finger Massager to the reluctant woman. They all agree that the Finger Massager is the way to go, and presumably, head to masturbatory Shangri-la.

Did I not get the memo? When did we cross the vibrator Rubicon for TV ads? Granted, it was probably 3 a.m. when this ad aired, but I've never seen that product advertised before, much less by a mainstream company. I don't have a problem with it, but I admit, it caught me off guard.

I suppose it was a pioneering moment. Can pocket pussy, cock ring, and inflatable farm animal ads be far behind?

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Any guy watching TV at 3 a.m. already has a pocket pussy. Those ads would go to waste.

3. Bubbler

Fixed

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

You waited a day to post this thread so it would apply, right?

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I see where you're coming from... But one small point. Just about every woman I know owns a vibrator. Other than Jones, I don't think I've ever met anyone with a pocket pussy, cock ring of inflatable farm animal. The advertising probably wouldn't be all that effective. They'd be better off hiring the actors to act out the ad in Jones' living room than running them on national TV. Just saying.

6. Bubbler

True that. I'd consider buying an inflatable farm animal Jones endorsed. Just not a used one.

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

inflatable farm animals?

I have lived a sheltered life.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The best sexual aids commercials are ones where they're hanging out in separate bathtubs outside on a hill.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

They've got personal massagers sitting in the aisle at Longs Drugs.
    No surprise that TV ads would be next.
    Don't be a prude.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Until recently, I would have called B.S. on this. But y'know what? It's true.

11. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Recently? ....

12. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Well, what I want to know is at what moment did you change your opinion on this issue?

Draft saved Draft deleted