1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I do the theater. Never again.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, May 27, 2010.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Seen Threepenny Opera eight times. Sting spoiled one of them, big-time.
    Only other contender for me in this department is Porgy and Bess, though
    a couple of the Sondheims are getting there.

2. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

It's worth it to investigate the same-day discount ticket booth in Times Square to see which shows are available. Quite a few of the long-running and off-Broadway shows are typically on the board.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I lost money on the game but still came out ahead in my estimation.
    For the most part, I just don't care for musical theater. It's not my thing.
    With the exception of 'Hedwig.'

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm not a huge musical theatre fan but West Side Story may be the single best American one ever.

And I went to see the Lloyd-Weber production of Sound of Music here in Toronto three times. And not just because HC was in it.

Opening night, a performance in November '09 and closing night, the latter mostly for the cast party afterwards. It was a great friggin' production and I had never seen the movie.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

You better watch out. Somebody's going to put you out in the cold rain and snow.

6. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I saw that group when they came through here. They were really, really good. It was my first time of seeing AQ (but I knew the entire soundtrack) but some of the lines in the middle just got me and I laughed so hard I cried.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Despite 21's post, as a lifeliong Beatles fan I absolutley loved Love when I saw it in Vegas 3 years ago.. my first Cirque show. Saw "O" the follwing year and it wasn't bad. The commercials alone made me never want to see Banana Schpiel.

The new Twyla Tharp/Sinatra musical on B'way, "Come Fly Away," is freaking spectacular.
    Also loved Jersey Boys (hey, the Four Season are my people) road show that I saw in Vegas. Expecting to go see it again soon on B'way.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Spnited, I should have added that those commercials hit the air well after we bought the tickets. If I had seen those commercials, we would have never gotten them. When we bought them, I had no idea what we were buying tickets for. When I saw those commercial starting a few weeks ago, I knew that at best it wasn't going to be my cup of tea, at worst it was going to really suck.

9. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Has anyone seen the West Side Story production that's on Broadway now? Any thoughts?

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

That's what she said.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Go see "Million Dollar Quartet". If you liked those shows, you'll like this one too.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Million Dollar Quartet is definitely on the list, Yankee. As is Rock of Ages.
    It's all a matter of discount tickets and timing. This stuff can get very expensive.

Also really enjoyed God of Carnage with Jimmy Smits, Kenneth Stott, Annie Potts and Christine Lahti

Draft saved Draft deleted