1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I do the theater. Never again.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, May 27, 2010.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

DD, We saw Avenue Q a few months ago. It's my one musical I mentioned in the other post! It was entertaining. It was my first musical since Les Miserable, in maybe 1992 (round about guess). We have been meaning to see In the Heights, on a Moddy recommendation (we went to Avenue Q instead that time, but I will be able to handle another musical soon).

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Avenue Q is being put on here in some traveling show. I contemplated getting tickets.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Avenue Q is really good? I'm off to NYC in two weeks and my group is debating which show to partake, with Avenue Q and Wicked somehow becoming the leading choices. (I know Avenue Q is off-Broadway now, that's not a bad thing to some in our group who would like to avoid Broadway prices.)

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Off broadway means a smaller theater, so that's actually a benefit.

Depends on the group. I've seen both. Would see Avenue Q 100 more times.

Ragu, get to In the Heights soon. I fear for its longevity, though the upcoming movie may revive the show for a while.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Both are fine. Q's quite clever, and Wicked is a landmark of its kind, though
    its obvious strong slant towards the teenage-girl demographic is hardly subtle.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

We saw Avenue Q at the new theater, right after it moved. I don't know how Broadway works, because as I said, I do this every few decades. But the off-broadway version is in this mega complex that has several theaters in it, and multiple shows. It's almost like going to a movie theater. I didn't get the tickets too far in advance, and we were sitting second-row center. The show itself was pretty fun.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I like all the Cirque's I have seen -- but some better than others. One thing I like is there is so much going on in them all the time. Still, not sure I would go to see something called Banana Schmeel or whatever.

I also was not exposed to theater or musical theater much growing up but have been to quite a few. Most of them I have enjoyed greatly. Even the couple that weren't among the best were still enjoyable.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

We were in NYC several months ago. GF went to see 'In the Heights' and enjoyed it.
    I went to the bar and watched a bowl game. I think it was the Fiesta Bowl.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Cirque du Soleil has been around for almost thirty years and the majority of their performances have been flat out stunning, with reviews to match. Unfortunately, this wasn't one of them.

Any time an artist pushes the boundaries, their failures are going to be as magnificent as their successes.

Now we get stuff like Jersey Boys (pretty good from what I've heard) which is aimed directly at the boomer market. Golden Oldies on stage with a plot that's prosciutto thin.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The two best "jukebox" musicals (essentially revues, glorifying specific
    performers/composers) are Ain't Misbehavin' (Fats Waller) and
    Smokey Joe's Cafe (Lieber / Stoller). Movin' Out was OK, but you have
    to love Billy Joel to rank it highly. Ditto for JB.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I loved the Buddy Holly Story. Saw it five times here in Toronto.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Your GF got the better deal. Love In the Heights

Draft saved Draft deleted