1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I didn't realize babies came with hats

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by outofplace, Aug 9, 2012.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

This is going to be self-indulgent. I’ll warn y’all of that up front. I fully expect this post to sink right off the front page without comment, but it’s a bit late for me to start caring about stuff like that now.

For those who didn’t look, this is my 29,999th post on SportsJournalists.com. What some of you may not know about me is I occasionally have trouble making decisions. I thought about just ignoring number 30,000 just to avoid trying to figure out what to do with it. But there are only seven other SportsJournalists.com members listed with that many. I leave it to you if it should be considered an accomplishment or a cause for shame. But it does occur to me that I should acknowledge it in some way.

So below are some of the ideas I came up with, complete with links to old posts, attempts at humor, a snide remark or two and a few of the more simple options that popped into my head.

The inspiration for this is a post I made a few years back. The link is here. Some of the links within it are dead, but y’all get the point.
    http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/2648598/

I could just start a thread that interests me. Perhaps a poll about the best television show in each poster’s lifetime. Mine is The West Wing, followed at a significant distance by the Sci-Fi version of Battlestar Galactica and M*A*S*H. (I've got West Wing on the brain right now. I'll get to that later.)

Or perhaps an all-things West Wing thread. I don't care how long it has been off the air. We've still got people here who love it.

I could apologize for every nasty thing I’ve ever written on SportsJournalists.com, but even I can’t post something that long-winded.

I could thank everybody who has ever made me laugh or smile at SportsJournalists.com, but that list would be even longer than the apologies.

I could give an update on my progress in watching of the West Wing from start to finish. (I told you I'd get to it.) As I write this, I’m watching the episode “Twenty-five,” the season four finale. The president’s daughter (Zoe) has been kidnapped and Toby’s twins have just been born. I had been avoiding spoilers of this storyline, which is by far the best of Toby, for the sake of one poster who loves the character. Now I honestly hope she reads this and sees the spoilers. She knows why.

Go Steelers

So Say We All

“I’d carpet bomb Mecca to get my kids back.” - more West Wing goodness.

Thank you to the mods for keeping this place going.

Yes, baseball does still need a salary floor and the cap that would have to come with it.

No, the NFL is not perfect. Its financial system is far superior to baseball’s, but it has serious problems ranging from a commissioner who has stolen too much control to a culture of stupidity when it comes to protecting the health of its athletes.

Something I wish I had thought to say to my daughter when she was first born: “I don’t want to alarm you, but I’m dad.”

One line from television that makes me tear up no matter how many times I see it, which came in the same scene as the one above: “Leo was right.”

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice. Pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

The new addition to my sig: “They’re great, and If somebody was hurtin’ them, I’d drop napalm on Yellowstone to get ‘em to stop. Letting some prisoners out of jail wouldn’t be nothin’ and I’ve known my kids for about 45 minutes.” - yet more from Sorkin on the West Wing.

The two comments I removed from my sig to add that one:

I wish I could remember who it was that introduced me to fantasy baseball...so I could kill the bastard for it.

"We are not the story. We are the story tellers."
    RIP spnited

How about a detailed analysis of the world view expressed in stories about Spider-Man in comparison to those about Batman. And none of that hippy, cheesy Adam West Batman crap I liked when I was four. Batman Begins Batman. Dark Knight Returns Batman. Hell, even Batman: The Animated Series. Just none of that campy crap. Ok. Nobody would read my analysis, but that isn’t stopping me on this post.

Speaking of Batman and Spider-Man, what is it with the American public and guilt-ridden, brilliant, orphan heroes with one loving surrogate parent, a fantastic rogues galleries and pictures of animals on their costumes? (Quick poll: Alfred or Aunt May?)

One more related subject. Organic webshooters suck.

One more on a related topic. Curse you, Sam Raimi for Spider-Man 3. You give us two fun movies and make me forgive you for botching “For Love of the Game,” then you finish up with that stinking pile.

Anybody make it this far? Hell, I think my mother would have given up around the bit about bombing Mecca and she loves the West Wing even more than I do.

Maybe I should just drop the anonymity and out myself. There’s an idea. My real name is

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Mazel Tov!

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

hey fucker, i hit 30k on the button and nuked. top that. ; P

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

OOP is no punk.

5. outofplace

TP, I thought of that. I certainly could use the free time, but the site would just be too boring without me. I wouldn't do that to you all.

And yes, I did just decide to lob that one up there for number 30,000. A little arrogance. An attempt at humor. An attempt to set somebody else up for a better joke than mine, which wouldn't take much. Yeah. That fits.

Pardon me. I need a moment to contemplate the ruin of my life that this milestone represents.

Almost forgot. I see that two words were left off the end of my last post. My real name is

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

You do realize that that post above was actually 30K, right? That the post that started the thread was 29,999?

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Premature celebration?

8. outofplace

Oh FUCK!

(Kidding. Yes, I did realize that. In fact, I planned it that way and TP gave me the kind of post I needed to respond to. But thank you for your concern.)

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I figured you did with the first post, but when the second one said "I decided to lob that up there for no. 30,000" I thought maybe you just had another few posts deleted.

It tends to happen to you.

10. outofplace

All I'm going to say about that is that I'm not going anywhere near it. You have a nice day. :)

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I can honestly say I look forward to reading 30k more.

12. outofplace

I've been picking up speed lately, Rick, so just give me a month or two. :)

And thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted