1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I didn't read a newspaper this morning...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TigerVols, Mar 18, 2007.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I skim through the local daily. If I go to Borders I'll skim through the Union-Leader and Conc Monitor. If I go to the truck stop for choco-chip pancakes I'll finger the Globe. If I want *the* news, I'll log on to sportsjournalists.com.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

The only time I ever read the paper anymore is during occasional visits to my mother. I feel guilty about it, but truthfully, there's just too much other stuff to be read.

Bought several during Katrina, but only for a wall where I've framed front pages dating to 1804.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

The Post's front page ad hypes up the new TV show that begins tomorrow on Comcast, featuring Post writers.

4. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

What do people think of the WP TV show, featuring the blogger and writers? WIll it work?

I've given up on buying newspapers (long ago, in fact) and now read the sunday times online. not as fun, but for $5, i'd rather get a starbucks and put the recepit into a folder that I'll hand to my tax guy next year.

Anyone else do that? Just charge everything to the CC and give it to your tax guy?

5. SilvioDante

SilvioDante Member

Everyone wonders which paper will be the first to go 100 percent online.

I actually think the gutsier move may be becoming the first major newspaper to go 100 percent print. Make people pay for the information again and undermine this pervasive belief that the 18-24 demo has right now that it is their right to get free current events coverage.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I canceled my M-F subscription to the local major metro a few weeks back, I just couldn't justify paying for it when they send me free e-mail newsletters every morning that link to every story online. (Gotta keep the weekend papers for the ads and chain restaurant coupons, of course.) And on every section front there's three or four teases to go online for more, so what are they telling me?

What surprised me was calling circulation to make the change and them not even putting up a fight. If a circ manager or someone had begged me to reconsider and maybe thrown in some kind of freebie, I probably would have changed my mind.

7. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

Not gutsy - suicide. Everyone reads newspapers are their desk online all day. If your product isn't there, you become irrelevant.
    Quit dreaming about 'giving the product away for free.' It's the way things are now. Gotta deal and move on and look to how you can take advantage of the web.

8. SilvioDante

SilvioDante Member

I actually think that's a trend because of the big online backlash against companies like AOL, etc., who badgered people continually when they tried to cancel. (represented pitch perfectly in the "Friends" episode when Chandler tried to quit the gym).

9. SilvioDante

SilvioDante Member

I'm all for online. But at some point, the powers that be have to turn it into a money maker, not just an altruistic venture to keep the public informed.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Call us when you get audited. We'll have a good chuckle.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Every type of printed product thrives except for newspapers. Only surrender will make defeat inevitable. For the umpteenth time, I say that papers need to go upscale.

12. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Yeah. Ask the 160 Time Inc. employees whacked and Newsday employees in the closing bureaus.
    I suppose if you mean celebrity smut rags, I guess you're right.
    ESPN and SI are the only staff magazines (mags that don't exclusively hire freelance) that pay "upscale."

Draft saved Draft deleted