1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I didn't need that money or vacation anyway

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

A couple of things:
    1. You shouldn't need a government issued ID and a passport (unless that ID is a green card which wouldn't explain going to the US gov't to change the passport). All they ask for at the border is a passport. Swipe and go.

2. If you were concerned about incongruity between IDs all you needed was a copy of your marriage license. Problem solved.

2. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Where in New Hampshire. Maybe they would let me pick it up for you and ship it out your way over night?

3. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I don't remember -- I know it's more, but I don't remember how much. It shouldn't have mattered though. We applied 12 weeks in advance, and were told it would be 8-10 weeks to turn it around. Like I said -- we did everything right. If getting your passport at all required paying for the expedited processing, they should have said so. Don't tell me 8-10 weeks if it's going to be longer than that.

It's like pizza delivery -- they tell you it'll be an hour before you get it, knowing that's the absolute longest it'll take to get it delivered. When you get your pizza in a half hour, you're happy because they got it to you much quicker than their estimate. We thought it would be the same thing with this -- 8-10 weeks max, probably more like 6-7. Stupid us, huh?

4. Rusty Shackleford

Well, that's all wonderful. Hindsight is 20-20 kind of thing. Shame on us for doing it the right way.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

So is the honeymoon going to be the local Motel 6 with the TV Guide?

6. Rusty Shackleford

Well, I appreciate it, but I doubt that would work. I can't imagine them letting someone pick up a passport that isn't the person whose name is on it. I don't know how, but there's probably some way we could harbor terrorists doing that or something. Thanks anyway.

7. Rusty Shackleford

More like the living room couch. We've vowed that if any publically-elected official takes care of this, regardless of political party or political views ("Abortions for all!" "Boooo!" "Fine, abortions for nobody!" "Boo!"), they've got our vote.

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

You still just need your driver's license to get in right?
    When you get to Mexico, say that the passport got lost or possibly stolen from the hotel and apply for a temporary one at the nearest U.S. consulate to get back into the United States.
    It will be a hassle, but better than sitting at home and losing that money.
    Of course that assumes you can still do that.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Let me say politely, that you are fucking crazy to go to Mexico without your papers in order, and rely on the benevolence of the federales and the Mexican consulate.

10. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Driver's license and a birth certificate. Despite the fortunes of those on here, it takes just one border officer to actually follow the rules for there to be a problem.

I am sorry about your problem. Personally, I have dealt with the government far too much and realize that their idea of "completed in time" is really within 6-months of the actual time frame they state.

11. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

You need a passport if you're entering by air. From the State Department website:

Beginning January 23, 2007, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling by air between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda will be required to present a valid passport, Air NEXUS card, or U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Document, or an Alien Registration Card, Form I-551, if applicable.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

12. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

You can't fly back into the United States without a passport. That's why everyone is applying for them.

Your passport is like a super-ID. You're not going to need anything else.

Make sure to photocopy the ID page of your passport before you leave and keep it separate from your passport. It could prove invaluable if you lose the real thing while abroad. Also, lock your passport in the in-room safe. It's the most important item you'll carry.

Draft saved Draft deleted