1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"I Did Not Have Sex with That Man - Brian McNamee"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Dec 24, 2007.

1. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

So you are telling me this is a waste of time to watch? Thanks for the heads up!

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Being interviewed by Mike Wallace on "60 Minutes" generally isn't the proper course of action if you're guilty. If he is guilty, I'm sure Wallace will have him squirming.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Maybe Clemens will grant a tell all interview with Tom Verducci. Tom will be sure to ask the important questions and not let Clemens off the hook.

4. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Does Roger know that Mike is the king of the "ambush interview"? Rocket better have his fastball ready to nail Mike. That old man isn't going to let up.

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Maybe he's a friend of Peter Gamens. :D

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

All of this is a result of an idiotic baseball commissioner and it is a clear example of how you create your own mess when you begin an investigation in order to try and get one specific guy, i.e. the Bonds witch hunt.

There is only two ways that this so-called "steroids crisis" should have been handled -- either at the front end -- (and don't tell me Bud and his cronies "had no idea" that when Brady Anderson was hitting 50 HR's and popeye Maguire and "beisbol been good to me" Sosa were hitting baseballs a mile (and putting a lot of fannies back in the seats and putting baseball back on a lot of television sets) or once it was decided that it was a crisis (what was it , 2003 or so) to institute a very tough testing and suspension policy and move forward and say "we don't care if you did it, don't do again."

But in trying to discredit Bonds, which is what is at the heart of all this, they have caught a whole lot of other guys in awkward situations and in some ways have turned the whole process into such a muddied watered mess that nobody is sure what to believe and it certainly adds a lot of credence to the idea that "so what if the hitters were jucied up, they were trying to hit balls thrown by juiced up pitchers....."

I mean, give me a break, Andy Petitte and the Vina guy just happened to "only use it one time and only during rehab of an injury"......Yeah, that sounds truthful

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It'll be the freakin' Powder Puff Derby.

Used to like Wallace, but he's largely turned into the kind of "privileged" New Yorker many resent -- with justification.

That said, I hope he doesn't embarrass the profession.

Not holding my breath.

8. D-3 Fan

It's more than an idiotic commissioner and his cronies. It's everyone involved. Of course Bud may have known about it, but since's a bumbling goof, he didn't pay any attention to it, until Jose ratted everyone out.

But as a point of clarification, you can't call Bud an idiot. If he knew what was going on, then that doesn't make him an idiot. That makes him as guilty as the owners and the players who turned a blind eye as a way to get back into the good graces of the fans who turned their backs on them after the '94 strike. MLB was desperate for attention, since football was becoming more popular (and less strike-driven).

He's an idiot when he tries to explain the reasonings, his actions, and all of this mess. He's a PR's nightmare.

9. D-3 Fan

Ben, I don't want the post-2000 Mike. I want the 1981 bad-ass version of Mike. That's the Mike I love to see pounce the living shit out of people and don't give a shit if they were his friends.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Yep . . . I remember that Mike, well.

Alas, he's deader than Calvin Coolidge.

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Don't hold your breath, for sure. Between Westmoreland, R.J. Reynolds and Dateline's rigged trucks, the news maagzines have lost their taste fo' the fight.

12. D-3 Fan

It's a good thing you said that, goal.

Whitlock was talking about the credibility of the media today while filling in for Jim Rome. I didn't catch most of it, since it's feel like a lonely island in the office today, but very intriguing topic that Big Sexy decided to roll out today, while everyone is re-gifting their shit or taking it back to customer service.

Draft saved Draft deleted