1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I destroyed one of my collarbones, Saturday.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Oggiedoggie, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I was riding my bike on a multiuse path when a husky on a long leash darted across my track. I hit the brakes hard, the front wheel stuck and I flew over the top, breaking my helmet and then my collarbone.

I took my first ambulance ride to an ER way out of my area of the city (something about trauma duty rotation).

I wasn't impressed with the orthopedist that the ER referred me to. He said, "I could operate, or it will heal. Let me know."

So, I got the X-ray files and sent them off too my brother who is a urologist in another state. He showed them to bone docs in his group and got reactions ranging from, "This should already be surgically fixed!" to "An active person probably would do better with surgery."

The clavicle ends overlap 3.5-4 centimeters, if that means anything to anyone.

I've made an appointment for tomorrow morning with an orthopedist recommended my my primary-care physician.

Is there anything in particular that I should ask the doc (besides if I will be able to play the violin.)?

Or any other things that I might be aware of?

2. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Cringed just reading that. Yet another reason there is no Dr. Killick. It tends to upset patients, seeing their doctor puke.

Best of luck, man. Sounds like you got good advice.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

On the Journalists Board, Doc Talk just posted something about broken collar bones. And I have experience with one, too. I turned mine into a T-bone, but didn't need surgery, thankfully. But if you have questions, I can answer at least some of them. And Doc Talk can, too.

4. Oggiedoggie

Thanks!

I read that column. It's pretty much in agreement with the other things I've come across in that surgery might be an option for folk who want to return to exercise/activity fairly quickly.

I'm not a real big guy and have tight shoulder issues, already. I don't think that having one collarbone an inch shorter than the other would be a good thing.

I'm hoping that the new doc will at least be conversant.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I went a few weeks before I started lifting again. In the meantime, my ortho gave me some exercises that a toddler could do, but hurt like a bitch at first for me. Within six weeks I was working on getting the strength back. I have a big knot where that S turned into a T, a big knot of bone, but it's all good. Never bothers me. I can lift more than ever. And for the first few months, as the bones fuse back together, don't sweat any popping you hear coming from there. Shit will sort itself out. The beauty of the collarbone is that it will heal itself, just not fast.

6. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I'm curious why you put the comma before the word "Saturday" in the title.

It makes it sound as if you named your collarbone "Saturday," then broke it.

Hope "Sunday" made it through unscathed. 8)

7. Oggiedoggie

Perhaps, because I also smacked the hell out of my head?

8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I hope the owner of the dog is picking up some of your medical costs.

9. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Good answer!

10. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Yeah, how does that work?

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Sorry to read about this. That one doctor sounds incompetent.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I would get a MRI to see if anything else is broken. I was in an accident years ago and I was taken to the ER and released and I found out a couple days later I was injured a lot more seriously than they thought.

Sad to say, most ER docs are quacks. Get a second opinion and a third opinion.

Draft saved Draft deleted