1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I despise the NFL ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Clever username, Aug 30, 2006.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh, no doubt. I love how you have to choose between baseball and football during the first eight or so Sundays of the season. And watching football by day and playoff baseball by night? Nothing better.

2. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Can't remember the last time I watched an NFL game from beginning to end. Nope, my passionate football viewing is now on Saturdays, thanks.

Is the NFL the best pro sports league? Yep. Not to me, but I can't deny that it is to the plurality of American sports fans. But I find it ironic that the NFL's popularity has increased as the product on the field has declined.

And don't you dare underestimate this facet of the league's stature: Only the NBA comes remotely close to the NFL's marketing might, and there hasn't been an entertaining NBA game since, as Bob Knight would say, "Jesus Christ was lecturing in Omaha."

3. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Excellence. Popularity. Vision. Excitement. Entertainment.
    Yeah, I hate those things, too.

4. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I love the procession of couch potatoes who weigh in with this cliche.

5. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

I like how clever username says he hates field goal fests, poor play, and uses that to condemn the NFL. ... Add then says he can't stand to watch the Colts because of Peyton Manning's precision.

Contradiction? Naaahhhhhh.

Uhhh..... So what do you not hate then? I'm not picking up what you're putting out, tough guy.

6. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Not a cliche, Columbo, and opinion. And as someone who spent five seasons as a part of my paper's NFL beat, I think it's a pretty informed opinion.

I used to watch the NFL. Now, it can't hold my interest.

So, of course, there must be something wrong with me.

Jesus, get this thread on a fanboy site where it belongs.

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Some of the most ill-informed people re: the NFL and the playing of the game of football ... cover the NFL.

Like I said, it's a lazy, inaccurate cliche.

8. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Just for the record, not all Bills fans are like this...

9. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

And thank you for re-affirming my point.

I expressed an opinion, even acknowledging that it is a minority opinion, nothing more.

The response? If you feel that way about the mighty NFL, it's your problem! Why, you must be ill-informed! It's an argument I've heard often, and it has the same intellectual merit as conservatives who claim that liberals are going to burn in hell for what they believe.

Give my regards to the rest of the congregation when you're worshipping at the altar of the NFL a week from Sunday. I'll probably be watching baseball or mowing the lawn. I hope you can find it in your hearts to pray that my soul will be saved.

Now don't go off on baseball being dull and plodding, because I've deemed that a lazy, inaccurate cliche.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I got the NFL Sunday ticket for a few years over a decade ago... I was forcing myself to watch a Chargers-Raiders tilt even though it was gorgeous out, just b/c I paid for it.. I don't have nearly the interest I used to in the NFL, but they put out a fantastic product, basically for free.

Tivo the game, start watching an hour into it, blow by all the time stoppages, and you have a pretty good 2 hour entertainment block.

And sitting in a Vegas sports book at 10:00 am on a Sunday, when 9 games kick off within 30 seconds of each other, is still about the biggest blast a married guy can have.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

So I've heard. I've missed that trip with friends a couple times already. Someday, I will make that trip.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Hey, anyone hear that one about several members of a Super Bowl team a couple years ago are confirmed steroid users? Anyone? Anyone?

Draft saved Draft deleted