1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

i could use some encouraging words

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by txsportsscribe, Feb 1, 2012.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i was supposed to have surgery on my knee next week but that could be off. went for pre-op tests couple of days ago and just got a phone call telling me i had a 180 blood glucose level (pre-diabetes?). while that is unnerving enough, was also told my white blood count is elevated. this has me really freaking out. going to see the doc in the morning but i'll be really stressed until then and wondering what i'm going to tell my family. this just sucks!

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

No reason to tell your family anything yet. Nor for you to worry. The tests may be inaccurate. Or maybe they're for someone else's bloodwork. You don't actually know anything yet. So don't try to guess what it might or might not mean. Don't project your fear forward.

Breathe deep. You'll know for sure when you know for sure.

3. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Given your stress level, a high white cell count is understandable. Leukocytosis can be caused by so many things (both benign and scary) that you'll do yourself no good to get worried about it at this point. As far as your glucose level goes, it could be a temporary spike. That said, if you have reason to believe you're at risk for Type II diabeetus, you can look at this as a much-needed wake-up call.

4. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

As said already, high white blood cell counts can mean any number of things. Some of them can be serious, while others are minor and treatable. It could be stress, or a virus/infection that you don't really notice that you have. Or even allergies. Do yourself a favor and don't get bogged down in 100,000 different Google results for "high white blood cell counts" - as someone who has researched medical problems online recently, I can tell you from experience the No. 1 thing it will do is cause your stress level to go up higher, since you'll get the "worst case scenario" results first (and people panicking/freaking out and going online to do the same to others) rather than the high percentage of results where things are actually OK.

You are going to the doctor tomorrow - they'll be able to interpret the results and schedule the next plan of action. If there are other things that would cause the doctor to be curious, he/she will likely start you on an aggressive round of testing to find out. You can't do anything about it right now except try to relax (and I know that isn't easy) and stay positive.

5. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

There's always Jack Daniels

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

After my hip surgery, tx, my white count spiked the following afternoon. It was back to normal by evening.

As has been said, it can be any number of things. I know better than anyone it's awfully easy to say, but try not to get ahead of yourself, amigo.

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Someone needs encouraging words?

OMG! OMG!

Quick!!!

Find out who txsportsscribe is!!! Call the local cops!!!!!

We could save a LIFE!!!!

MOBILIZE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(In all seriousness, the doctor will have the news you need tomorrow. That will guide you regarding what to tell your family. Good luck to you)

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Why don't you take a vacation from being a jerkoff for one hour and remove that post? Nobody cares right now that you don't like how that other thread was handled.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Do your best to just control the things that are within your control. You're fairly young (?) so odds are that you'll be okay and even if there is something amiss, given the medical advances now with respect to diabetes (and other things) as opposed to 30 years ago, there will be excellent treatments.

10. txsportsscribe

diabetes wouldn't surprise me given my size - 6-6, 375. the elevated wbc has me concerned because the doc said an infection could cause some major problems with my knee implant. an infection there can really eff things up.

and i wouldn't know how to react if piotr had been anything butt a jerkoff. but hey, at least he wished me luck.

and thanks for the attempts to bring me in off the ledge.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

[​IMG]

Hahahahahhaa, um . . . OK?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. txsportsscribe

i'm not sweating it, piotr

Draft saved Draft deleted