1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Could Come to Like Scott Brown

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Oct 6, 2011.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

"Why is Chelsea Clinton so ugly? Because her father is Janet Reno."

Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., 1998

---

• "Socks is the White House cat. But did you know there is also a White House dog?"
    — while holding up a photograph of 13-year-old Chelsea Clinton on his 1993 television show, Rush Limbaugh

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1882947,00.html#ixzz1a27UoWVA

2. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

In this scenario, I envision Lucas putting up numbers in bowling score form, Moddy giving regular numbers, and you writing out full-length critiques that end up not even fitting on the card.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Clinton at his heaviest was 226. The guy is a hair under 6-3.

Not skinny, but that's definitely not fat.

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

You are an anti-dentite, though.

5. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

I am 6-0 and would stab someone in the throat to weigh 226.

6. Mizzougrad96

I won't defend either comment... You don't take cheap shots like that at a defenseless kid.

Chelsea had an awkward phase... I'm guessing most of us did, but she turned into a pretty attractive woman...

7. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I was going to say that those Republican SNL sketch writers really did a number on
    Chelsea. Because the worst of the ridicule regarding her came from that show. Perhaps some unfortunate remarks were made by Republicans, too, but I think the public would identify SNL as the entity that delivered the most "laughs" at her expense.

Making fun of a teenage girl who did not voluntarily step into the public arena was
    wrong, no matter which side of the aisle did the mocking.

This...eh...two adults who entered politics. She will be fine and win. He will lose. Big deal. It's not like she's heinous, either. If she was truly ugly, I would say he went way too far. As it is, well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It was just a throwaway line,

8. Mizzougrad96

I always thought Christie handled that stuff very well...

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Thanks for finding those.

Here's the thing - Christie did throw his weight around to fix that stuff.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

All of Ragu's scores would have a repeating decimal.

11. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

This.

Making light-hearted fun of someone for doing something a) mildly unstatesmanlike, or b) shallow and vapid or c) silly is the same as making fun of someone's looks?

Calling her a hag is of a piece with mocking the idea of her naked.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

1. Moddy, as a public opinion experiment, I would be interested in Mrs. Moddy's thoughts on Brown's remark.
    2. Pols making deprecating jokes about their own bodies has a long and honored tradition. Tommy O'Neill, Tip O'Neill's son and once Lt. Gov. here, inherited the family proboscis. He had an entire FILE CABINET full of nothing but nose jokes.

Draft saved Draft deleted