1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I could be in some hot water ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Jul 29, 2009.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

When was the last time these kids were dropped off at church or brought to church?

What does she think will happen when school starts in a month?

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

So you're in hot water with the mom, or the pastor, or both?

I know this is going to sound ridiculous, but I would recommend you and the pastor talk to a lawyer before you have any more contact with the kids, just to make sure there isn't anything you're doing that won't affect what happens in court. Yes, it sounds ridiculous. But before the mom raises the allegation that you or someone at the church was doing something bad to those kids -- and don't think that idea hasn't crossed her mind, given that she and the church are at odds -- you should find out from an attorney what sort of guidelines there should be for contact.

Having sat through Virtus training (Catholic program to teach adults working with kids how not to molest them), I can tell you that churches and lawyers all over are getting more paranoid about any adult-child interaction outside the home. I know you care about these kids, so for that reason you should step carefully before having any further contact. Sad, but true.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

The mom is just crazy enough to try and do something like say someone at the church did something. This is exactly why we went thru what the Methodist church calls safe sanctuary.

That requires two non-related adults, usually male and female, to be working together with kids. Anything the mom says can be disproven quickly based on that.

In the last few months, there has never been a time where myself or the youth pastor was left alone with those kids.

I hope all this makes sense.

4. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I agree with the others that it doesn't seem like you did anything wrong.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

So who may you be in hot water with?

6. KYSportsWriter

The mom and possibly my pastor. The latter I can deal with; the former, I just don't know what she's really capable of.

I mean, if she threatens her own son, there's no telling what she might do to me.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

You may have meant well but sometimes, it's best to leave stuff like this alone.

8. KYSportsWriter

That's not the type of person I am. I can't just sit idly by and watch all this crap happen.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, but you have to be careful with emails in the future. Anyone can have access and people can easily misread them or see what they want to see in them.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Sometimes you have to for your own sake.

I agree with what Bob Cook said. Talk to a lawyer. Find out what steps you need to take to protect yourself in future encounters with these children. Talk to the police. Find out what steps you need to take to ensure their safety.

11. KYSportsWriter

If worse comes to worse, I'll talk to a lawyer. I've already talked to the cop who arrested the parents and who saw a copy of the emails, and he said I did nothing wrong and there is nothing the family can legally do to me.

He said I could be summoned when they go back to court in September, but I wouldn't be required to testify.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry then.

Draft saved Draft deleted