1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I could be in some hot water ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Jul 29, 2009.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

To make a long story short, three kids in my church's youth group were put into foster care after their parents were arrested on allegations of child abuse.

I made the mistake of emailing the oldest kid, who is my mini me -- we have the same name and birthday. Someone hacked into his email, printed them off, and gave them to his mom.

Before i go further, i didn't know it was taboo for me to email him, but I wanted him and his sisters to know they had the support and prayers of our church.

2. KYSportsWriter

The kid goes on to tell me his mom and older brother have threatened his life. I told him I was glad they were safe and that I hoped the court would keep it that way at least for awhile so the social worker and court could get everything worked out.

Myself and the former youth pastor have always thought something was going on, but we could never prove it. We thought the worst because of how the kids would act and the things they would say while at youth.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

So while there are three siblings in your church's youth group, there is also another elder sibling to them?

4. KYSportsWriter

The parents have always rubbed me the wrong way. They aren't interested in their kids lives or anything they do at school or church.

They are constantly asking the church for money, even though they're always out doing something -- renting movies, eating out, whatever. The parents are ones who ask if we can pick up their kids for church, and then later drive right past the church on their way to go shopping or whatever.

It's just little things that keep everyone at church frustrated with the family.

5. KYSportsWriter

GB: Yes. He graduated in May, but he was more or less kicked out of the group because of his behaviour.

There were a lot of things that led to it -- starting arguments every chance he got; cussing at me, the youth pastor, a few kids and two people in the church.

He was more than we could handle, really.

6. KYSportsWriter

The family is enough to drive any sane person crazy. But two of the kids, I'll call them Timmy and Lisa, have grown so much since they started coming to the church.

And, like the former youth pastor warned, I've grown attached to both of them. They've had such an impact on my life over the last two years, and I just want what's best for them.

And that's in foster care, IMHO. But, it's not up to me to decide where they go.

I just hope and pray the judge makes the right decision.

7. lmcmillan33

lmcmillan33 Member

It certainly doesn't sound like you've done anything wrong.

If the kids are in danger with their parents, then this is the best thing that could have happened. Hopefully it all works out.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

If e-mailing someone best wishes gets you in trouble, the whole world is in trouble.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yeah. I wasn't clear on that. Why are you in hot water? You have the kids e-mail addresses and nothing you wrote to them was innapropriate or illegal. It's not illegal to e-mail someone you know.

Why do you think you are in hot water, KY?

And you sound like a sweet person. I am not being facetious.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If you were a teacher and a student told you verbally or by email that their mother was threatening his or her life, you would be required (by law I believe) to report this threat.

If a teacher sees a bruise on a child that they think is abuse, they must report it.

http://content.scholastic.com/browse/article.jsp?id=4435

http://www.smith-lawfirm.com/mandatory_reporting.htm

11. KYSportsWriter

Apparently, anyone who isn't family has to have the mom's permission to talk them. That was not brought to my attention til yesterday.

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

So this is the mom's rule, and you're in hot water with her? The kids were taken from her custody because of alleged abuse, you're going to worry if she's mad at you? Seems like she should have bigger things to worry about.

You did a nice thing, and those kids need all the support they can get.

Draft saved Draft deleted