1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I can't wait to hear Ed Hochuli's explanations

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Point of Order, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

The NFL's Competitions Committee will consider penalizing players for using abusive language during games.

http://www.wsmv.com/story/24808481/nfl-contemplates-onpitch-penalties-for-derogatory-slurs

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

So thug is OK to a white opponent, yeah?

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

This is going to be next to impossible to enforce equitably.

Certainly there is far too much trash talking in many sports, but it's up to the players to behave better. I'm not sure where, as an official, you can draw the line. Is it a "black list" of certain words or phrases? Is it tone or context? What about gestures?

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Originally thought this was a decent idea, when I thought it was for COLLEGE players. These are grown men and they can handle themselves. Yes, I know college players are mostly grown men too, but I thought that would at least have a conditioning effect and possibly cut down on such stuff in the NFL in the future. I agree with the sentiment, but I don't see how you can regulate adults' speech on the field.

5. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

As long as the refs are not niggardly with the explanations of the calls there should be no issues.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

DAT'S RAYCESS!

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's a winner, Chet.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I would bet the use of the word on the field is 90+ percent by African-American players. I also wonder if they're going to differentiate between -gga and -gger. I'm guessing not...

I don't have a problem with the rule as long as it's all encompassing.

It would be funny if the refs had to let the viewers know what specific infraction was committed... "N-word, No. 31, 15 yards... First doooowwwwwwn!"

Maybe Red Cashion can come back just to make the call...

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Would "Redskin" be on the derogatory slur list?

10. Mizzougrad96

I would love to see what makes that list and what doesn't.

11. joe king

joe king Active Member

I think this is a big can of worms the NFL would eventually regret opening.

12. Mizzougrad96

Goodell needs to listen to the audi or just read lips of most WR-DB interaction to realize how often those flags will be thrown...

Draft saved Draft deleted