1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I can't take it anymore

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SheaSeals, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Ever think that something (or maybe everything) you write becomes a subject of ridicule on a message board frequented by sports journalists the world over?

Ever think that maybe, just maybe, you could run a column idea by an editor and have the editor say, "You know, let's rethink this one."?

Ever think that hero worship of a former basketball player is just a bit juvenile? Ever think you could put that fingerprint-embedded keychain on eBay and see what Jordan actually does? Ever think that maybe he doesn't have any power over what you do?

I didn't think so.

2. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Dear readers,
    I'm way more priveleged than you.
    Sincerely,
    Scoor Jackson.

3. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

[​IMG]

4. dog428

dog428 Active Member

When you clicked the link to the story, did you expect hard-nosed journalism? Were you looking for Scoop to wow you with his in-depth reporting? Did you expect a column that would make you think long and hard about a societal ill?

If you did, you're the moron.

Scoop is what he is. He's entertainment for people who like that style of writing. And I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but people out there do like that style. You can jump up and down and scream that "No one cares about the writer," but the simple fact is, they do.

It's the reason blogs are so popular, celebrity news is ridiculously overdone and Bill Simmons is one of the most widely read columnists in the country. Some people like that personal touch. They like to feel as though they know the guy banging out that column. It makes the opinion mean a little more to them.

You can accept that or continue to be amazed by it. Up to you.

5. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Wow, that column is ridiculously bad.
    The comments below it are hilarious, too......
    Ever think Scoop Jackson might be looking for a real job soon?

6. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

Honestly, what the fuck is he talking about? I ask that seriously. I don't know what he's talking about. Did he play in some journalist basketball game at the United Center?

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I think it was a media event. The question I'm wondering, though, is why didn't No. 23 stick around for the game? Jackson made it sound like he took the floor and bolted after his name was called.

8. EE94

EE94 Guest

Ever think that, in your wildest marketing dreams, you could invite some bag-licker to meet Michael Jordan and get an entire "editorial" column showcasing your client's new shoes on one of the largest sports web sites in the U.S.?

An embargo on shoes news? What a joke

9. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

This is why I like you, IJAG.

And Ben is a sore loser.

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Your post is full of truth. And that makes me weep for society.

The comments under Scoop's column give me some hope. Then I realize it's probably just a bunch of SportsJournalists.commers having their fun.

I envy the youngsters in college right now, getting to compete for jobs and internships against other young wannabe journalists whose style has been honed by years of watching SportsCenter and reading writers the caliber of Robert "Scoop" Jackson.

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Nope. He was hired for the wrong reasons, he stays employed for the wrong reasons.

12. Mitch21

Mitch21 Member

anyone think scoop chose his profession strictly because his name and/or nickname is "scoop."

Dont tell me he got the name after he decided to write.

Draft saved Draft deleted