1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Can't Drive 85

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

There are good points and bad points to this law.

More Texans will probably die on the highways.

But, I'm sure there are also some bad points.

2. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

You'd still be going 40 on I-80 between Omaha and Lincoln on home game Saturdays.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

They need the same speed limit through the salt flats.

4. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

:Clap, clap, clap, clap, clap:

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Stay classy.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I dated an emergency room nurse (INOVA for you DCers) years ago and she said 70 mph is the magic number between pulling a live person out of a car and a dead person out of a car.

So 85 is fine, but there will be more gas used, more car engines blowing up (you really think that four banger is built for 90 mph) and more people killed.

That said, I drive between 70 and 75 to work every day, and I think people who weave in traffic are much more dangerous than a few more mph on the speed limit.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Law.

http://audio.autoblog.com/2011/09/04/texas-dumps-nighttime-speed-limits-raises-max-to-85-mph/

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Eggggzactly.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Now, Utah needs a 100 mph limit in the salt flats...

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

And I'm stuck driving 65 mph on the interstates in Pennsylvania and New Jersey.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

It was already 80 (not 85) on 20 and 10 in west Texas. When we drove out there a couple summers ago I took photos of the signs.

12. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

I am glad they finally got rid of the 65mph at night speed limit, I think having 2 different speed limits were stupid. As far as moving it up to 85, I don't really care about that. I'll most likely stick to around 70, my car's mpg drops big time after I go about 65-70.

Draft saved Draft deleted