1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I cant decide on whether to go into print or broadcast...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jtrain351209, Aug 14, 2008.

1. jtrain351209

jtrain351209 Guest

So I stumbled upon this forum hoping to get some insight on a tough situation for me. I am going to be a junior in the fall at a fairly well known J-School. Many people, by this point in time, have it figured out if they want to go into print or broadcast. I, however, really don't have a clue. My Freshman year, I attended a different school, where I wrote for the school paper, and really enjoyed it. However, when I transfered to the school which I currently attend and asked about working for the sports section of the paper, it was really tough to break into. The SE kept telling me that all the beats were full, and that if there were any feature opportunities, he would let me know(which he never did).

At this point, I decided to go to the campus sports radio station, and it was considerably easier to break into. A week after talking to them, I had a talk show, two months later, I was doing pre-game shows for basketball, and in the spring I was doing play-by-play for softball. Now, while I have enjoyed doing broadcasting, im not 100% sure if its for me. I find that I am uncomfortable doing play-by-play, and while part of it im sure is from not having a whole lot of experience, I feel like you need to have a certain amount of natural talent at play-by-play, which I don't really feel I have. I am planning on trying my hand at being an anchor, which may be better, but regardless, I really like to write and I definitely want to keep the print option open; however, I feel like the newspaper won't be getting any easier to break into. I also have been writing for the website of a local minor league team, so I am still getting writing experience. If there were no other outside factors, I think (not 100% sure) that I would go into print, but I keep hearing very negative things about the print industry (not as much money, will be gone in a few years, etc. etc.) So basically, what I am asking is will it look bad for future employers if I have a little experience in both vs. a lot of experience in one field?

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Re: I cant decide on wether to go into print or broadcast...

I vote for broadcast. They don't care if you can spell whether, just if you can pronounce it.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Since you can't spell whether and have issues with apostrophes, I suggest broadcast.

Edit: Fucking IJAG! Get a copy editing job or something!

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You also need to have a willingness to talk to people who may not want to talk to you and get what you want in print. So your experience with the SE is not a strong indicator that you'd be willing to set yourself in front of people or call people and get them to talk to you.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I suggest you change your major to something with a better future, like maybe VCR repair.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Go into law, bill @ $300/hr, and laugh your troubles away.

7. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Whatever you choose, I hope you wether the storm.

8. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Go into print. There won't be any jobs by the time you graduate.

You'll have a more gentle excuse for why you weren't hired by anyone.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

If you decide to go into writing, you might want to learn to write.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

A talk show within a week. I guess since he wasn't able to cover a beat, print is a no-go.

Why didn't you try to onto the news desk? At least you should have put your foot in the door? What about freelancing opportunities with the local paper in town? College clips don't matter that much. It's what you can get out of stringing and internships.

By the way, the pay in broadcast is usually worse to start off with than in print.

11. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

Go where the opportunities are. Right now it sounds like broadcast is going well. Keep at that. If you work at a newspaper you're likely going to be doing pod casts if the paper has any kind of serviceable Web site. Your broadcast experience will help you there. And don't take no for an answer. Keep in contact with that SE, and look for other writing chances with the local paper. Also, your college likely has a quarterly magazine it sends to alums. Find out about that, and see if you can intern or freelance there. I would also suggest picking up journalism jobs in the summer. At graduation you want your resume to show variety, that way you won't be cornered into one single career opportunity. Also get into some multimedia type stuff, especially Web design. And don't let some of these cynics knock you down. But do realize what this business can do to you. And broadcast jobs are just as hard to get into as print jobs, so you might as well be well-versed in both.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Check which way the wind is blowing first. The weather can tell you whether or not you should choose broadcast.

Right now, print is a leaky well, and the streets are only getting wetter with water.

Draft saved Draft deleted